They Taste Better

"Why do you always eat the red ones?" Emma cried grabbing the bag of M&Ms away from Neal. They sat in their little yellow bug just around the block from the store they had shoplifted from.

"They taste better." Neal stated grabbing the bag back and rifling through it for more red ones. Emma gave him her best BS look.

"They all taste the same genius." Emma muttered, throwing a handful of the multicolored chocolate candies in her mouth. 

"Nope," Neal shook his head, "The red ones taste better...it's just the way it works." He ate 2 more of the little red candies smiling as Emma gave him another glare.

"Do you do this just to annoy me?" She asked, pushing her big black glasses a little higher up on her nose and grabbing a water bottle.

"As cute as you are when you're mad," Neal grinned, watching Emma open her mouth to retaliate, "No, I don't...the red ones really do taste better."

"Whatever floats your boat, I think you're just plain crazy." Emma said, holding her hands up in surrender.

"I am crazy, crazy about you." Neal smirked before leaning across the seat to kiss Emma quickly on the mouth. "Real crazy about you."

Emma rolled her eyes, despite the grin on her face, "Just drive before those angry shop owners find us."

"Your wish is my command," Neal teased as he started the little car. "Where to?" He turned to Emma expectantly and suddenly his heart clenched, he loved her so much. She was so beautiful, so unsure of herself but so smart and sweet. He hated that they had to run everywhere, that they couldn't settle down. They would find a place to call home, he'd make sure of it. She deserved that much.

"Anywhere, just drive." Emma grinned at him before entwining her fingers with his and leaning over to give him one more quick kiss. Her nose on his she whispered. "There's one more red one left...you want it?"

"MOM!" Henry's voice pierced through her memory, it took Emma a minute to figure out where she was, before Henry's big brown eyes brought her solidly back to earth.

"What, Henry?" She asked leaning over the table, giving him her full attention. He held out a small bowl of M&M's.

"David took me to the corner store, you want some?" He asked.

"Sure," Henry set the bowl down in front of her, Emma went to grab a handful only to notice something strange. "Hey kid...where are all the red ones?"

Henry turned around to look at her; an eerily familiar smirk on his face, he shrugged sheepishly. "I ate all of them...they taste better."