Part One

It rained all night. It was lucky that I came home on time last night otherwise I would be soaking wet. In the morning the whole ground smelled good because of the rain from last night. It is early in the morning, I turn 8 this year and feel that I am older and can do more than last year. I went to my uncle first, to leave food, he guarded our camels, goats, sheep and cows all night. Everyone in the family has a responsibility to do home tasks to help his uncle and his wife. Since I am the youngest in the family I usually take care of the goats. My sister Fatima usually takes care of the cows, my cousin Aisha usually takes care of sheep, I usually hang out with her often. My cousins ​​Ahmed and Ali usually take care of camels and go to town to fix the case. My uncle usually stays at home and check that everything is correct. My uncle's wife takes care of the home and the yard. We didn't have a big yard, it was a small yard that can only support the family.

My big sister is a nice girl who usually says yes to all the homework she gets from Uncle. I thought it was unfair and I was against from the idea me or my sister getting the most work. One morning I returned home because I was feeling bad. I saw my big sister crying and lying on the ground. She told me that she was beaten by my uncle's wife for not cleaning at home. It wasn't my sister's job, she usually just take care of the cows. My uncle's wife Zeynab was in charge of the house. I felt it was time to look for my mother, I heard from older men who were my mother's family talking about her once when I was with the goats and watering them. The next day, I went and talked to a man, who was close cousin to my mother. I have told him that my sister and I are not good at my uncle and want to move to my mother. He told me that my mother moved to Mogadishu and cannot go by yourself, since I am a child and am 8 years old. I didn't listen to him, I started planning how to go to Mogadishu. At that time it was very difficult to get to Mogadishu. the road was dangerous, only men can make it during the journey.

The year is 1948, I sit under a tree with my goats, it is at 14.00 PM in the afternoon. The sun is really strong and can burn your skin if you go out. I don't have very good shoes. I make plans how to cope under this heat if I escape from home tomorrow. I sit suspiciously, my sister is sick these last days. She can't move. I can't escape with her. It will prevent my plan from succeeding. In the evening, at 5 PM, I decided to leave home after a month,  alone, and come back for my sister a little later.

In my village, I was brighter than other children in the village. I didn't get the chance to play with children, they usually tease me and say ugly words to me. I usually beat all the children who came near me. One time I got a scolding from my uncle because I hit a guy really hard. He dropped his teeth because I pushed him to the ground really hard and hit his head in the back. Everyone calls me crazy Halima. I started to hate the village more and became more ambitious to leave this area. I used to dream about my mother, I heard how my family treated my mother. I hated my uncle and his wife. I just want to go to my mom and the capital Mogadishu where there are several opportunities.

It took me 2 years to go to the capital. During these years I gathered all the information about the trip. I felt more secure and ready for the trip. I booked time with women who want to go to Mogadishu, I lied to them. Because they know my uncle and will tell him if I say he does not know about it. I talked to my sister and told her to wait for me no matter what happens, that I will come to her one day and save her from this life.

It came the night I was about to leave home, I left the goats in their house. I locked them in the house. I went to my uncle to report what the day had been like. Then I told him good night. I went home and ate the evening meal with my cousins. When everyone lay down, I took my bag and sneaked from home. On the way I met the women, everyone brought food and water, because the trip will take a few days. You will walk long distances and sleep on the road. It is dark all over the ground, the moon is not so bright. There are all kinds of dangerous animals.