The Time Things Changed...

In these times, couples face struggles with their families and friends based on their background. It's never easy. People are quick to judge and just put us to the side without giving us a fighting chance. A record 15.1% of all new marriages in the United States were between spouses of a different race or ethnicity from one another. Well, in this short story, it follows a couple who face quite similar things to other interracial marriage couples.

Cole Vega: Male, 20yrs. old, American
Victoria McKenzie: Female, 19yrs. old, Asian

Marriages between European Americans and Asian Americans are increasingly common for both genders in the United States so I thought this would be fitting.

© 2019 by white_angel_666
All rights reserved. No part of this document may be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording, or otherwise, without prior written permission of white_angel_666.
ALSO, PLEASE DO NOT REPRODUCE A STORY LIKE THIS OF YOUR OWN!!

------------------------------------------------------

{7:30am, Friday morning: Victoria's room}
*yawns*
"What time is it?", I said as I checked the time. It was my usual time and I started getting my clothes that I was going to wear that day to school. I went to the bathroom and turned on warm water. After my shower and dressing up, I quickly brushed my teeth and applied makeup on my beloved face. Then I put my pjs in my hamper and headed downstairs.

"Morning, mom!", I said with a cheerful smile and hugged her from behind. After, I decided to make myself some coffee.

"Someone seems to be in a delightful mood.", she said as she placed my breakfast on the table. My father was just reading the newspaper, shutting out the noise in the background.

"Why wouldn't I be? It's my 5th year anniversary with Cole!! I don't know what he has planned for me.", I said all giddy as I began to eat my pancakes.

My mom stared at me.

"As long as he doesn't propose to you, you guys will be ok.", she said as she began to sip her tea. That comment remained in my head. 'Why would she say that?', I thought to myself.

After I ate my pancakes and eggs, my mom picked up my plate. "Mom...why would you say that?", I questioned.

She just started saying that as much as she loves Cole and treats him as if he was her son, there is only so much that she can take in.

"It's just that....our grandchildren would be mixed and you know that we finally got adjusted to you two being a couple.", she said very nervously and continued. "Our grandchildren have to be the same race. Plus, they won't marry you guys if you are of different race. Think about how it can affect the growth of your kids. Your lifestyle will never be the same."

I sighed and was a bit uncomfortable.

My phone started to buzz and checked that it was Cole calling me, telling me that he was outside the house. I saw that it was about to be 8:30am and our class starts at 9am.

"Look, we will talk about this when I get home tonight.", I told my mom as I grabbed my backpack and my coat.

As I opened the door, he was leaning against his car while holding 2 Starbucks drinks.

I quickly ran to him as I hugged him, not spilling the drinks. "I wasn't sure if you were going to come out. I was close to calling your mom.", he said and we quickly kissed.

He opened the door from his car, signaling me to get in while giving me my drink. He then closed my door and made his way to the other side to get in.

"We just have to attend this morning class and then, I have the rest of the day planned for us.", he said as he started driving to our college, CalState.

After 25mins., we finally arrived to the campus with 5mins. to head to class. We quickly got off the car and headed to the class as soon as possible.

{3 hours. past by: Now making it 12pm}

"Mrs. Mendez's class was quite hard. She gave us an oral and a paper quiz.", Cole said as he rubbed his head. Seems like he had a bad headache from the lecture.

"Where do you want to head now?", I asked him since we only had one scheduled class today. He had a surprise and decided to take me back home so that I have enough time to get ready.

I was very curious about what he meant so we got in his car and headed back to my place. We agreed to meet in 20mins. which gives me enough time to shower and dress.

Once I got out of the shower, I put on a baby blue puffy dress with white flowers that has a black bow on my waist. Then I put on a rose flower necklace that he gave me on our 2yrs. anniversary.

"Hopefully, they will understand sooner or later. It's my choice. My future.", I said as I made my way downstairs and headed back outside. Cole was all dressed up and held a bouquet of flowers. 'Why should I make myself unhappy for the satisfaction of my family?', I thought to myself as we kissed.