ONE

Aurelia ran her hands through her hair, flipping it to one side as she read through yet another book on Travelers. She had been looking for four months, and nothing.

Absolutely nothing from reading through seven books with an average of 800 pages each.

Her phone rang, and she quickly muted it, sending apologetic looks to the people who glared at her and shushed her. She stood up, before walking outside and answering it.

"Hello, mom." She said.

"Mom, huh? That sounds pretty accurate, since I'm mom-ing you to get out of the library." Liz said, making her smile. "Get out of the library, will you?"

"I will... once I find something on Travelers and the goddamn spell that makes me relive the horror that is childbirth." She said.

"Tell me about it." Liz agreed. "Listen, Elena called me, looking for you. She wants to talk."

"Aunt Liz, come on, please. I dropped out of college, and I've received a couple million texts from her." She said.

"Why not actually check those texts while you leave voicemails for Stefan?" Aurelia frowned. "I know it's a sensitive topic, but I had to."

"Aunt Liz, he's probably not even getting my texts because he may be in a remote mountain region or something." She said. "There's nothing sensitive about it."

"Sure." Liz said, sarcastically. "How's Karissa?" Aurelia smiled at the name.

"She's great, I just visited her again last week." She said. "I didn't know how much I needed her until I saw her for the first time in forever." She paused. "Have I shown you a picture of her? I'm gonna text you a picture of her. She's grown up to look so cute and pretty, it's unreal. I never thought I'd see her look so much like an adult. It's just like she was a tiny bundle two days ago...." She trailed off, mentally face-palming herself. "I'm being such a mom, aren't I?"

"Not something to really be embarrassed about." Aurelia chuckled. "Aw, if only I could see you laughing."

"I'll see you soon, Aunt Liz." She said.

"Bye, sweetie, I love you."

"I love you, too, mom." She teased. "Bye." She turned around to walk back in, but her phone rang yet again. "Hello, Caroline, where do you want me to come?"

"Aw, you know me so well." Aurelia rolled her eyes, unable to contain a smile. "The diner."

"Yup, specific enough." She said. "Bye." She hung up. She began to walk back, but her phone rang once again, making her take a deep breath to satiate her irritation. She answered the call. "WHAT?!"

"Woah, mom, who you think is calling you, exactly?" Karissa's voice came, making her sigh in relief.

"No one, I was just trying to work in the library. Calls kept disturbing me, so..."

"I see. But what're you doing in the library?"

"Researching. You know the whole ordeal about Mystic Falls, right?"

!

Slinging her bag over her shoulder, Aurelia walked into the diner, instantly spotting Caroline and Alaric sitting opposite to each other in a booth as they talked.

Caroline had a frown on her face, which made Aurelia curious as to what they were talking about. She tucked her hair behind her ear, before quietly listening into the conversation.

"How often do you talk to him?" Caroline asked.

"I don't know, couple times a week." The 19-year-old's eyes widened at Alaric's answer. "I'm gonna go out on a limb, here, Caroline. Is something bothering you?"