Trainer

The region of Galar. A fantastical place filled with people and Pokemon of every shape. Located to the west of Sinnoh, separated from the other regions by a vast distance over sea, their culture developed much differently compared to the rest of the world. Namely, their Pokemon battles. Each trainer still still may have a conventional team of six Pokemon, however the trainers also face each other in armed or unarmed combat during matches. As such, citizens are legally unable to become Pokemon trainers until they turn eighteen. And, in a little town named Wedhehurst, a young girl just turned eighteen.

------

"(Y/N), hurry up! Leon's coming back today!" Hop calls, beckoning for me to speed up.

"Getting there before him just means more waiting for us. Slow down a little, why don't ya?" I say. He just pokes his tongue out at me and runs on ahead, leaving me in the dust. I smile and shake my head, picking up the pace a little. Hop's brother, the champion of Galar, was finally returning after a year of travelling around other regions. We had all been eagerly awaiting this day, Hop and I most of all. See, we wanted to become Pokemon trainers, just like the champion. We had been sneaking away more and more to fight with each other and hone our skills while Leon was gone, and were looking forward to surprising him with our progress.

The little town of Wedgehurst comes into view. I could clearly see the train station, though quite a crowd was gathered around the front. Hop was right at the edge, bouncing from one foot to the other, trying to see over the people gathered to catch a glimpse at his brother.

"Leon! Over here!" He calls, waving his arm in the air. I reach his side and raise a hand in greeting as Leon pushes through the crowd and appears before us.

"Hop? Is that really you? Man, you've grown! And you, (Y/N)! I hardly even recognise you!" Leon exclaims, staring at us in disbelief. I grin, shifting my weight to one foot and placing my hand on my hip.

"Speak for yourself. Are you growing a beard?" I tease, noticing the light fuzz he had on his chin.

"You two seem a bit more muscular too. I definitely remember you being a bit fatter when I was leaving." He continues, not phased at all.

"We've been training hard with each other! We're ready to become Pokemon trainers now!" Hop exclaims.

"Well, before we bother anyone about that, how about we go back to your place and let Leon wind down a little?" I suggest before the champion can respond. He gives me a slightly grateful look and calls to his charizard, who I didn't even realise was there. The orange dragon Pokemon walks beside us as we go back up the hill to Postwick, entering the two brothers' house and sitting together at the table. Hop's mother was in the kitchen and hardly noticed us until Leon embraces her from behind.

"Oh! You scared me!" She exclaims as he laughs. "I didn't realise you'd be home so early!"

"Happy to see you too, mum." He laughs. I watch the exchange through lazy eyes, my cheek resting on my palm, as the two come sit with us. Hop and I ask lots of questions about the regions Leon visited. What surprised us the most was that trainers don't attack each other during their battles.

"You mean they just... Stand there, shouting orders to their Pokemon?" Hop asks, quirking an eyebrow.

"Yep. I nearly made the first poor guy I had a battle against crap himself from fear! Definitely made me learn the hard way!" Leon laughs. I imagine the scene and can't help but snicker to myself.

"Speaking of matches and battles and stuff- OW!" Hop begins, only to be cut off by me stamping my boot down on his bare foot under the table. He glares at me and pulls his legs up, sitting cross legged on the chair now. Leon laughs.