CHAPTER 1

Window seats are rare

Window seats are rare. Getting one means owning one of the best places around. With the window seat, we could directly stare into the depths of our endless landscapes and realize how less complicated our life is compared to the world. The best thing about the window seat is recoiling our life from our childhood to now. When we are not bound to all rules and restrictions. A flashback of our life makes us feel younger, lighter, and free-thinking.

Wider the gaze - deeper the thoughts.

Every day I was the first to get on the bus, and the last to get off. My college was far away from the place where I live.

I just sit there slipping into my thoughts. These thoughts are not restricted by anyone. The life I wanted was not restricted to this journey to my college.

Recollecting all those memories which make me cry and smile at the same time.

What am I?

A girl who depends on her parents or a girl who cannot live a life as she wants.

Or a girl who is just afraid to tell her life ambitions or a girl who was being controlled by society and should fit into his society.

Or a girl who just wants to escape from the clutches of these restricted rules and regulations and fly high in the sky?

Or a girl who is afraid of confessing her love to someone because she lives in a family where she was not given a piece of freedom, unlike her cousins.

Why is the world so cruel to children who were raised by single mothers? Why do they respect people with money, not a good heart?

But my day always brightens when I look at him. The man with round glasses.

I know him, but he doesn't. He has been my senior for two years. By the end of the semester, he'll graduate and leave for a better life in this so-called world.

I always see him on our college premises now and then. He was a gentleman yet badass. Maybe his charms attracted me to him or the way he talked to me on my first day. That was a heavenly experience.

I lost track in my class, but no one was helping. They just avoided me when I asked. Attitude. I think he saw me struggling and approached me and asked if I needed any help. My cheeks turned pink when my eyes met him. He walked with me to my class and wished me luck.

Is that love at first sight? It's been a year. I look at him every day in our leisure time, secretly.

Sure, I sound creepy but I couldn't resist. He always hung out with his bunch of crazy friends, who were insanely handsome just like him.

The urge of confessing grew every day, but I was afraid of rejection. That's the last thing I need apart from my problems with my family.

I stayed silent.

Let the ship of one-sided love sail and the relationship drown.

He was sitting two seats ahead of me. I can just look at him without getting caught.

He had his headphones on. I don't know much about him, but I know enough about him.

Never thought falling in love had put me in this exquisite feeling of tenderness and fondness towards a person which I never wanted.

Maybe I can have a happy love life, unlike my mother's.

I smiled at myself.

Hope rose in me.

That I can love too.

That I can be happy too.

That I can have a love life too.

But maybe with him or not.

Not always would your first love be your last love.

No one is guaranteed.

Yixing Zhang. My first love.