Chapter 1

-Clove POV-
My family sat around our square table. One person on each side. No one spoke. Reaping day in career districts are the same as the outline districts. We're all scared. There is always the possibility that the person who said they would volunteer could have second thoughts. It's not my year to volunteer yet. 
I wanted to meet Cato before the reaping to show him my dress and wish him luck.I shoved my face with scrambled eggs and ran out the door without saying anything. My parents don't deserve a goodbye.
I walk through my district, taking in the beauty of it. Giant houses are everywhere you turn. Certain streets have masonry factories that never rest. The sound of weapons being sharpened and bombs being created fill the ears of everyone in district two twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week. The mountains surrounding the downtown part of the district are breathtaking. Even in the spring, you have to wear a sweater when you want to travel to town on and on the other side of the mountains. I take the trail leading to a circular clearing on one of the smaller hills. I jog to the brick house where Cato lives. I knock on the door quietly. I don't want to disturb anything that happening in there. Sarah opens the door for me. She stands there in a purple maxi dress. She smiles and leads me to the living room.
"Cato," she call," Clove's here!"
I hear pounding coming down the stairs at a rapid speed. The love of my life jumps down the last few stairs and smiles when he sees me.
He smiles,"Hey babe."    
"Hey, love! You look stunning."
He has a light green polo shirt on. It resembles the color of the sweet apples that Cato and I munch on in the summer. He has khaki pants on and black dress shoes. His hair is spiked up as usual.
"As do you." He replies.
I have on an emerald green strapless dress. It falls down to my knees in easy-moving materiel. It has small ruffles at the bottom of it and at the top. I have a white sweater on that flows behind me when I walk. Due to not knowing how to maneuver around in heels, I have on shiny white flats. My hair is tied back with a green ribbon.
Cato gently pulls me closer by my hand and gives me a peck on the lips," I love you so, so much."
"I love you even more,Cato." I pause," Can you promise me something?"
"Of course, Clove."
I giggle," Promise me you'll promise me?"
He gives me a genuine smile," I promise you I'll promise you."
"If I'm reaped, and Kate doesn't volunteer like she should, will you stay? Will you wait for me to come home?"
"I promise, Clove."
We interlock our hands and walk down to the justice building. A peace keeper takes some of our blood then we split from each other. I go to the fourteen year old line, a little bit farther back than Cato's spot in the sixteen year old line on the male side.
Mellianne, our district escort walks up to the stage. I brace myself for what is about to come.