Prologue

(This is written in a style where no exclamation points or quotations are used. But this is only for the prologue, don't worry. -Aron)

When she is feeling down, she turns to the comfort of the wilderness.
      You don’t understand, Scintilla yells in exasperation at her father. Her father who is always as safe and comforting as a blanket, warm, fresh from the dryer on a cold winter evening. But now, there is no blanket. He is the cold and bitter storm. At least to Scintilla.
      A small whisper before she walks out the door with her bag of hiking necessities; You would never understand.
      The sturdy cabin door shuts behind her, she who is now welcomed by the comforting world of trees and birds and flowers and endless streams that are always there for her when she needs to get away.
      She walks, unbothered by the lack of trails. Why does it need trails? Is it really exploring if already know where you’re going? Why not enjoy the untouched nature and go your own way? And that’s exactly what Scintilla does.
      Soon, she finds her usual place. A mossy log near the edge of a small clearing. Her place. For now.
      Scintilla sits. Soon, the argument within her head begins. 
       He doesn’t understand.  Ever since her dad left before she could comprehend what was happening. 
       It was for the better. But I’m miserable. He lives so far away. He’s happier now, and you should be, too. This is your chance to get away, so take it.  But it’s only a matter of time before I have to go back to Mom. I only get to see Dad for about maybe…a month total out of the whole year. 
      When summer ends. Once again, an everlasting loop of nothing. Nothing worth anything. Trying hard in school only to fail herself. Cleaning when she gets home while her mom is at work, only for her mom to always tell her it’s not enough. Everything Scintilla does never seems like enough. She feels like she is not enough.
      Whenever she has free time, she writes. She draws. Anything to feel free from the hopelessness and uselessness that has consumed her at such a young age. Something to accomplish and be proud of. Something she actually works toward. Something she does for herself to try to enjoy something.
      But she is not free. And the arguments start again.

      Obviously Mom has no time for me. Why do I have to go back?  You heard what Dad said. She works all the time, barely having enough money to scrape by and have a roof over your head and at least dinner on the table. Yes, Mom’s boyfriend doesn’t work and he’s obviously using her for a place to live and play video games, while she only lets him stay because she’s lonely. She’s trying, she really is. But why does she always make me feel useless? She doesn’t even talk to me, even on the weekends.  She’s exhausted. She works overtime every day, and you’re lucky she even takes weekends off.
      That’s it, she is tired of thinking about it. Scintilla did not come out here to bury herself in more pity.
      To take her mind off of it, she reached into her bag for her sketchbook. To her surprise, she finds a spell book. Her dad’s spell book. She was going to borrow it to practice and expand some of her craft. Despite what her dad had said to her.
      You are not experienced enough. Do not ever touch this book. He sounded serious, but to Scintilla he was just underestimating her abilities.
      She’ll return it to him before he even realizes it’s missing. But things don’t always go according to plan. Especially with her luck.