Chapter 1 - Shattered

{Tom's POV}

"Oh, no, mate. There is no way in this world or the next in which I'm letting you drive home being as drunk as you are," I said to my mate, Harrison, as I staggered to my apartment door.

We had just come back from a night at the bar to ease Haz's mind. He received news from his boss saying that he was being let go, and I, being the lovely friend I am, decided to call in sick and spend the day (and night), trying to cheer him up.

"If I wasn't so tired, I would argue with you, but I feel like you might have a point."

When I unlocked the door, I pushed it open and let Harrison into the room first, and he immediately fell onto the couch. Haz and I have been friends since we were kids. We grew up together, went to college together, and we're currently trying to get our life together, well, together too. But only in a friend sort of way. He's been my best mate since basically forever, and I really wouldn't change it for the world.

"Haz, did you want to change into some clothes before you go to sle..." I trailed off, seeing as he was fast asleep on the couch. I smiled and shook my head, mumbling as I headed to my room, "what am I going to do with you?"

After I gave Harrison blankets, I jumped onto my bed and started to get comfy, when I heard glass shattering and muffled yelling in another room. Keep in mind, I live in an apartment, but I still was able to recognize that the noise was coming from a floor under. I mentally debated whether or not I should go see if the people were alright, and started leaning toward the part of me that was saying to go to sleep. Not long after, the door slammed and loud stomping footsteps followed when it hit me that someone could potentially be hurt. It wasn't like I had much to lose and even if nothing was going on, I could at least say that I tried.

I pushed myself out of bed, feeling the material of jeans around my waist and walking to the elevator, rethinking my life choices. I didn't really know why I was going and doing this, but I'd already come this far and that's the thought that made me continue.

If I'm room 316, then the noise should have come from 216, I thought to myself, spotting the room number to my right. I stood in front of it for a second, wondering if I should just knock and what I'd even say.

Fuck it. I hit the door three times using the back of my hand.

I waited and waited. I didn't get a response. So a little later, I tried again.

"Knock" "Knock" "Knock"

This time, I opened my mouth to speak when someone inside cut me off.

"What more do you want?!" She yelled, her voice loud with every word. I just stood there kind of awkwardly, not knowing what to say back. "Can't you just leave already?! Oh my god, Jer, I can't do this with you anymore!!"

And just like that, the door violently swung open to reveal a young girl, who looked about my age. She had these gorgeous (E/C) eyes and (H/L) (H/C) hair. Underneath her eyes there was black ink dripping, which I later found out to be mascara, but it wasn't too visible. Her hair was messy and a little frizzy, but she still looked pretty, although there wasn't much lighting since it was early in the morning.

"Last I checked, my name was Tom," I laughed slightly and quietly, seeing her frozen face of confusion and shock. "I live in the apartment above and heard loud noises as I was heading to bed. I-

"O-oh. Yeah, yeah," she said, quickly recollecting herself. "I'm sorry about that, uh, I'll...try not to make so much noise next time."

"I didn't come all the way down here just to tell you to keep it down." I stopped her, seeing as how she was about to close the door. "I'm pretty sure I heard glass shatter and yelling, so I just wanted to make sure everyone was okay."