Music Prompt: Karaoke

It was karaoke night at a bar I sometimes went to. My friends dragged me there because they wanted to have a good time. Eventually they forced me to sing at least one song before I could leave.

I decided on singing "The Fastest Way to a Girl's Heart is Through Her Ribcage," by Ice Nine Kills. It had just been released and I loved the song. Things started out perfectly.

"Now there's blood here in the water as I'm slowly losing grip, 'cause your insanity, it's killing me~"

I rocked out to the song as my friends watched. At some point in the first verse, they'd given me weird looks and giggles, but I didn't think anything of it.

Once I'd finished singing the song, I joined my giggling friends once again. It was in that moment that I spotted a man walking in my direction. However, this wasn't any man, this was Spencer Charnas, the frontman of Ice Nine Kills. My heart pounded in my chest with excitement and slight embarrassment at the thought of him witnessing my performance.

"Hey, I saw you sing my song," Spencer said with a smile. "Good job."

"You're Spencer Charnas," I blurted in excitement. "Holy crap, I-I'm so honored to meet you. I'm a huge fan."

"Yeah, I can tell," Spencer chuckled. "But you sang the song wrong. It's no big deal, though, since the song is new."

I felt a lump in my throat. "W-What do you mean?"

"Well, in the first verse, it goes 'your simple slight seductions spin me out of control,'" he spoke.

"What did I say?" I asked nervously.

"You sang 'your simple slut seductions,'" Spencer laughed.

"Oh my gosh! This is horrible! I am so sorry for all of this," I apologized, mentally slapping myself for making such a stupid mistake. Spencer just continued to laugh before putting a hand on my shoulder.

"It's okay. I actually like your version better. It's funnier," he smiled widely.

I turned to my friends, who had been laughing the entire time. One of them was even on the floor.

"That's why you guys were laughing?!" I growled before turning back to Spencer. "I'm so sorry for all of this. Let me buy you a drink."

And so I bought him a drink and we ended up having a really interesting conversation about horror movies while my friends were getting wasted and taking turns singing karaoke.

"You know, you're actually pretty cool," Spencer told me before he looked at his watch. "Oh, I actually have to go now, but here, this is my number. Let's hang out some time."

He handed me a slip of paper and we exchanged farewells before he left the bar. That, ladies and gentlemen, is how I befriended the frontman of my favorite band.