Chapter 1

Syria/Atomic Heart's POV:

   The city wide alarm went off, warning me it's 9a.m. My parents should be getting ready to take their pills and head off t work. My sister and I can't take them because somehow we are genetically immune. I get up out of bed and walk to my closet. I proceed to pull out the mandatory grey pants and shirt provided to everyone by BL/Ind. I Sigh and walk out of my room, heading downstairs. Walking into the kitchen, I see Raven already eating her breakfast: Oatmeal. Ughh!  I sit down and she gives me a knowing look. We don't say anything because we are being watched and recorded. As always. 

    We finish our horrid breakfast, out on our matching grey shoes, picked up our bookbags, and headed off to school. We both watched our feet as we fell in line with the other students. Everyone is almost robotic like with their movements. No one looks at eachother. No one bumps into eachother. No one talks. We all just stare at out feet while waking. There is no kindess in Better Living. Dracs watch us as we go to-and-fro. Anything that goes wrong they report to our leader Korse. Raven and I soon arrive at school and go straight to first period.

    I should probably tell you about myself huh? Well I am Syria Grace. I am 14 years old. I've lived in Better Living Industries all my life (same with my 15 year old sister: Raven) I have light brown hair with green eyes, same with Raven. Most people say we look our mother. Our father has Black hair and blue eyes. I I've always hated it here. Raven does too. 

    School is now over and I waalked home. I didn't bother waiting for Raven because I know that she can handle herself. I'm usually the first one home so it came to a huge shock when my father and Korse was at our house. You see, Dad works in BL/Ind. offices. I walked up to my room mumbleing something about my homework. I'm at the top of the stairs when Raven walks in and follows right behind me. We go straight to her room to "study".

   "Raven. What is HE doing here?" I said in a hushed tone.

   "I dont know, Syria, but whatever the reason it isn't good." She mumbled in return. We both jumped when thier mother knocked on the door indicationg it's time for dinner. We walked downstsirs and sat in our respective seats waiting to be served. We were having mashed potatoes, green  beans, and ham. Nothing new there.  Korse was served first since he's our guest and ruler. We all kept our heads down except dad who was holding an unimportant conversation with Korse. Other than that we ate silently. Raven and I asked to be excused to finish "studying".

     When we got back into Raven's room she immediately turned to me. "Pack. Only stuff you NEED though." she said in a harsh whisper. I instantly ran to my room and began to pack. I pulled out my book bag and threw two spare outfits in it a can of beans I stole one night and my secret radio. It's a secret because radios are banned here. At night I sit in my room listening to the 1 thing I've been taught to hate. I have always wished to be a killjoy.

     Taking one last glance at my room, I turned and walked out. I went straight to Raven's room to see that she had finished packing as well.

    "Listen Syria, we are following out with our plan. Got it?" She said looking me dead in the eye.  I nodded.  She went to the window with the fire escape and climbed out. I followed suit. We managed so far so good. No one has spotted us and no Dracs are after us. We had just reached Zone 1 when suddenly we were surrounded by dracs! Then the unthinkable happened. A red lazer shot out at one of the Dracs! Not much later all the Dracs were dead and this guy wearing a blue leather jacket and yellow mask with bright red hair walked up to us.

    "Who are you?" The man said while pointing his gun at out heads