ii. are you ready

chapter two - are you ready

After the meeting last night, where Dakota volunteered to spy on the Sky People, she and Lincoln headed back to their tent in the village of Tondc.

There, Lincoln warned Dakota about the many dangers that lie within the forest. He gave her some quick survival tips and also told her exactly where the Sky People's campsite was so that she wouldn't wander into any other dangerous territory. Once he had finished, he told her they'd talk more in the morning, and that she should get some rest.

The next day, Dakota met up with Lincoln and he finished prepping her for the mission. She stood in place as he draped leather garments across her body and placed some more armor on top. It wasn't extravagant or anything, just merely for protection. After all, her job was to stay out of sight and hidden in the trees, and that would be quite difficult to accomplish if she had heavy armor on that was shiny, and made clanking noises whenever she walked.

"Here, you'll need these," Lincoln stated, carefully placing a sword in her hands, along with a few blades.

"Ooh, thanks!" She replied, sheathing the sword in its holder and strapping the blades to various, yet easily accessible, limbs on her body.

He chuckled and gave her a pointed look. "Don't get too excited, Sis. Only use them when necessary, okay?"

"Come on, Lincoln." She groaned. "I know this is serious and all, but can't I have a little fun?" She teased, giving him her famous puppy dog eyes. He only shook his head in response.

She giggled to herself as she turned her head to the left. There, she saw the foghorn lying on the table beside her.

"Is this for the acid fog?" She asked, picking it up.

"Yes." He replied. "When you hear it, take shelter immediately no matter where you are. Your place of rest will be our cave in the forest, so I suggest heading there until the fog lets up."

"Got it." She nodded.

Once they were finished, they exited the tent and proceeded to the front gates. Lexa was already waiting for them when they got there.

"Dakoda" she greeted her. "I'm happy to know you haven't changed your mind. Thank you for doing this."

"Of course, Heda," Dakota replied, with a respectful nod. "I'd do anything for your people."

"Our people." Lexa corrected her.

"Right." She chuckled, awkwardly.