iii. curiosity

chapter 3 - curiosity

Dakota hid in the shadows as she continued following the girl. It was dark as they treaded through the woods, the only light visible was coming from the full moon above them. Its brightness flickered through the trees giving off enough light for the grounder girl to see the brunette finally slow down, as the curly-headed boy came into view.

"Bellamy!" The sky girl shouted, grabbing his attention.

His head snapped in her direction when he suddenly heard the sound of her voice. He scoffed, then directed his attention back to the path he was walking on.

"What are you doing?" She asked as she caught up with him. He stopped in his tracks and turned around, now facing the brunette.

"Go back to camp. It isn't safe." He ordered her.

Like he has room to talk! Dakota thought as she stood hidden behind a tree.

"You lied to everyone. You lied to me." The girl stated. Or more like panted, as she stood out of breath from her previous sprint through the woods.
"You just want whatever's in that pod—"

"Just go home!" He yelled, cutting her off and shoving her shoulder in the process.

Dakota flinched slightly when she heard him raise his voice. She frowned when she noticed that he had pushed the girl. She took a deep breath, calming herself. She wasn't fond of the idea of people fighting but she especially hated it when men put their hands on women.

Once she finally got herself together and she turned her attention back to the two, she saw that they were still talking, but unfortunately, she had missed part of the conversation.

"You shot the chancellor?" The brunette asked with wide eyes.

"He floated our mother. He locked you up. He deserved it." The boy replied, attempting to justify his actions.

Our mother, huh? They must be siblings...
And what does he mean he "locked her up?" Was she some sort of prisoner? Dakota wondered.

"I didn't ask you to do that." She said.

"You're right. I made the choice. This is on me. Whatever they sent down, I'll take care of it."

The girl shook her head.

"I didn't ask for any of this." She stated, before turning and hurrying in the other direction, leaving the boy who just continued walking in the way he was originally going.