TWELVE

Stefan's eyes slowly opened as he woke up, looking around to absorb his surroundings. He began to recollect the events of the previous night as he realized the he was in his living room.

A soft hum from Aurelia made him look at her and realize that there was a small frown on her lips. She was definitely asleep, but seemed to be having a bad dream. He softly sighed, taking her left hand and closing his eyes.

She continued to weep, tears falling onto the bed in her dorm room and she cried and cried.

Stefan frowned, looking around the dorm room, before spotting the calendar. He raised his eyebrows, reading the date.

May 15th, 2012.

He looked back at the blonde with her head in her hands. She wore the same thing she wore when she died and came back.

He knew exactly what was happening. He just needed to know if it was true.

He took quiet and careful steps towards the bed which she sat on. Next to her was a small letter, with familiar handwriting.

His handwriting.

She was crying because he left her.

He opened his eyes, looking back at the sleeping supernatural, letting out a breath as he stroked her hair.

Leaving her was the worst decision he had ever made.

He could see the changes in her since they began to talk again. She was different, more sensitive, more caring. She was also more fragile than ever, with everything that was going on.

He closed his eyes yet again, going back into her mind.

Aurelia was now silent as she walked around the room, looking at pictures that were hung up all over the place. She stopped at ones of her and Damon, and Bonnie, and a few of her and Lexi.

She sniffed once, knowing that Lexi hated pictures.

She finally turned her head to look at a slightly larger picture of her and Stefan, both smiling happily.

There were two drawings next to it; one of her, and one of her and Stefan. Those were the ones that he gifted to her.

She found herself mumbling, "Why?" over and over again as she sighed, closing her eyes.

"Why did you have to leave, Stefan?" She asked softly.

She suddenly jumped as she felt a hand on her shoulder. "I'm sorry." She heard his voice. She instantly spun around to meet his eyes, her lips parting to let out a gasp.

Stefan smiled, placing his hand on her cheek after tucking a strand of hair behind her ear. "Stefan." She said.

"I'm so sorry I ever did this to you, Aurelia." He said. "But I'm here now, and that's what matters." She began to smile as he wiped away her tears.

"You're here." She said.

"I'm here." He repeated, before she pulled him towards her, standing on her toes as she wrapped her arms around him, closing her eyes. "I'm here, Aurelia." She hummed, as he pressed a soft kiss into her hair. "I'll be here for you. I promise you this."

He smiled, his eyes opening and darting towards her as she began to stir awake with a groan. She turned her head to look up at him, accidently bumping her nose with his. "Ah, sorry." She said, sitting up. "I just had the strangest dream."

"Huh, I had one that made a lot of sense, actually." He said. She rolled her eyes, before looking at her phone. "What?" Her eyes widened.

"Oh, crap." She said, getting up and therefore pulling away from his touch. "Oh, crap it's already 5:00 am." She said. "I have to run down to my place and grab a bunch of boxes."