iv. open wounds

chapter 4 - open wounds

During the previous night's events when the brunette that Kota took to her cave passed out, only then was she finally able to completely close the wound on the girl's leg. She was glad that the Sky girl wasn't awake anymore, because she couldn't stand hearing her painful cries.

It hurt to hear her scream, but what hurt Kota even more was knowing that she was the one making her scream in the first place. It pained the grounder to know that some of the pain was caused by her, but at least it was with good intentions.

The heated sword that she had burned her with was only meant to help her, but she doubted the brunette would see it that way. After what she saw yesterday... let's just say that she couldn't forget that face she gave her when she saw Kota crouching over her. She looked so scared of the young grounder. Kota knew that her war paint and armor probably made her look more intimidating than she was, but she wasn't trying to frighten her. It was then that she chalked it up to the fact that all the Sky People thought the grounders were all the same.

She didn't blame them though. After all, their first encounter with them wasn't so great, one of their people got impaled with a spear just for trespassing. How was he supposed to know that he was in their territory?

Maybe that's where their thoughts about Sky People originated too. After that, things only got worse and now they see each other as enemies, always ready to fight with one another.

However, as Kota stared at the unconscious girl in front of her, she couldn't help but feel more intrigued by her rather than threatened. Maybe they weren't all as bad as the grounders assumed they were. Maybe they judged them too quickly just like the sky people did to them.

All Kota knew for certain was that for some reason, she didn't feel like this girl was her enemy. At least, she didn't want her to be.

It had been a few hours since Dakota met the girl and she could guarantee that she was going to be hungry when she woke up. To her knowledge, she hadn't eaten anything since the previous day.

So, that's why Kota decided to go out and gather some food and water for her since she felt it was the least she could do. Then, when she woke up, she could take her back to the camp so that the girl could be amongst her people. Hopefully, she'd tell all of them about how a grounder helped her and maybe they would stop seeing them as a threat. If she could get them to let their guard down, then it would be way easier for her to gain information from them.

The grounder girl bent down next to the river and began filling her canteen with water. Only a few seconds had passed until it was full and the water started overflowing out of it, making Kota stand up and twist the cap back on. However, that was when she heard someone cry out in the near distance.