Chapter 0 - Prologue

Bartholomew Hansen

バーソロミュー「バート」ハンセン

Mr Bartholomew Hansen was born on the 4th of February 1838 in a small little cottage on the outskirts of London. Unfortunately, his father left his family while his mother was pregnant with him; as such, it was just him and his mother in the house when he was growing up. You see, his mother was quite the interesting inventor – she always used to come up with all sorts of crazy ideas to either help the two of them, or other people in general. As you would expect, Bartholomew took quite an interest as he didn't have much else to do in his spare time and he always wanted to be close to his mother because he didn't have a father figure in the house. Since he was spending so much time with his mother, she was the person who taught him everything that he knew (including how to read, write, talk and act like a nice gentleman).

During his teenage years, he started to get more intrigued in what his mother was doing and her work in general. He had always idolised her and thought that she was the best person to ever exist – Bartholomew's mother was one of his only friends as he grew up; this is primarily due to the fact that he didn't have any other family and he only went out to gather supplies for her studies.

However, it was the 5th September 1855 where things started to change. Early in the morning, his mother called him down from his bedroom into the study in the basement of their house. She had quite the fascinating invention to show him (he had been helping gather supplies for a couple of years now).

It was then that he was introduced to his mother's greatest piece of work – work she had called "Automaton Mechanica"...