Part I

Running at impeccable speed, you and Shadow throw the open the doors of the library and then quickly shut them. You were the first to rush over to a table still dotted with opened and unopened books alike, and, heaving, you push the table with all your might to it up against the front entrance as a means of stopping the zombots that were surely after you.

Yes, they were slow, but it was only a matter of time before they reached you.

You feel the pressure against the table ease up and look to see Shadow helping you. He catches your eye and nods, and together the two of you push the table against the door. With the help of Shadow, you then lift a secondary table, flipping it on its flat surface and setting it on top of the former. For extra measure, you place as many empty chairs that can fit in the empty spaces, hoping to create an impenetrable fortress that would not easily cave to the zombots.

Once the work is done, the adrenaline wears off and you fall back against a bookshelf, trembling. "I can't... believe I did that," You whisper, a wide grin on your face. You give a cheer and fist pump, twirling around in your royal (fav color) dress. "Ha! Woo! I can't believe I DID THAT!! Did you see me, rescuing your fuzzy butt all cool and stuff, Shadow?! Can you imagine what my parents would say?! Oh man, the looks on their faces—" Your sentence is cut short short when you look at Shadow, expecting him to be watching you with his arms crossed and one brow lifted—but he's not.

Instead, your teammate is standing with his side to you, and you're able to see the bewildered look in his crimson eyes. He's flexing his fingers, watching the metal disease slowly spread down his arms, and that's when his facial expression snaps to one of rage.

"DAMMIT!!" He roars, clenching both fists. He raises them up in the air only to slam them down on the floor; resulting in the wooden boards caving in, creating a crater the size of Sonic's foot. Shadow is breathing hard, body heaving, dangerously low growls erupting from his throat.

Your ears flatten and your expression turns to one of empathy.

Yes... that's right.

Shadow has been infected.

"This can't be happening," Shadow seethes. "I am the Ultimate Life Form. I am NOT WEAK!" He lets out an angered noise and grabs the nearest item—which happened to be a children's book—and hurls it at a wall, the many hanging pieces falling with a crash. You frown at this.

"Shadow, I know you're upset, but right now is not the time to lose your temper. We need to focus," You state, eyes flickering to the barricaded front door. Shadow's head juts in your direction, and his lips are pulled back in a snarl, revealing his pearly white fangs.

"What do you know about anything, princess?" His venomous tone causes you to flinch. You stand your ground.

"I know that you're not the only one who's been infected[1]," You shoot back, which seems to do the trick. The fire blazing in your (eye color) eyes has Shadow backing down, and you know he feels guilty when his angry stance falters and he lets out a sigh, closing his eyes.

"...You're right." He murmurs, collecting himself so that he can meet your gaze. Your (color) ears perk with a kind smile that he warily returns. As quickly as you witness it, though, it disappears, and Shadow is back to scowling. Darn.

"Now would you turn that damn necklace off? It's been glowing this whole time."

"Huh?" You blink, confused, and Shadow points a gloved finger to the (fav color) emerald delicately hanging from your neck.

Your eyes widen considerably, and you sense Shadow's curious stare. "Did you not know it was doing that?" He asks, walking close to your side, being careful to keep a far enough distance away from you.