1. Collapse

A 'little' Christmas/Holiday gift for you all!

...it is definitely not as 'little' as it was planned to be...

1.

Peter's drool was just starting to coagulate when something smacked down on the desk hard enough to rattle the beakers across from Peter. And Peter's brain, which had been resting inside his skull, which was resting firmly against said desk.

Peter shot up with a strangled yelp. Kicking the chair across from him and sending it pelting to the table across from him. The occupants shot him a heated glare.

"Nice reflexes."

Peter's eyes shot over to MJ, who was leaning over her books, which had broken him from his doze, and eyeing him warily.

"Thanks." He said.

Her brows curved closer together, and that scrutinizing stare grew more suspicious.

"I was mocking you," she said, nodding over to the chair that the students in front of him were currently picking up and trying to set back on its feet despite one now being bent at an odd angle. "That was embarrassing."

"Right." Peter murmured, his brain barely following the conversation. He was so incredibly tired. He felt like he had to fight his way though feet of fog just to find a single thought. "Yeah."

MJ slid into the seat next to him.

"What's up with you?"

"Nothing," He said, quickly, shaking his head – probably a little too forcefully – in an attempt to clear out some of the fog. It didn't work. "Really, I just – ugh – didn't sleep much last night."

MJ was still eyeing him like she was waiting for the body snatcher inhabiting him to fess up. To be honest, so was he a little. He hadn't felt this tired, or this weak, since well before the spider-bite.

"No shit." MJ said. "You look like that raccoon Flash caught on camera stealing the welcome mat out of the cat flap in his back door."

That broke through the fog, a little. Peter barked out a short laugh that died as quickly as it had come and seemed to take what little strength he had with it.

"He showed you that."

MJ scowled. "He showed everyone that." She said. "It's been his Instagram story everyday for, like, a week now."

Peter nodded, wearily.

"Yeah."

MJ poked him in the arm. Hard.

"So what's keeping you up?"

That woke Peter up.

"What, nothing." He said, eyes wide. His brain felt like it was working too hard just to get even the worst of lies out, and this one was necessary. Important. MJ was too observant.

MJ's eyes narrowed, one brow lifting almost into her hair. "You just said you didn't sleep."

"Right, but, like, nothing was keeping me up." Peter said quickly. "I wasn't doing anything." He added. "I was just," he floundered for a moment. "Not sleeping." He finished lamely. God. What was wrong with him?