x. training session

chapter 10 - training session

As you can probably imagine, when Kota was growing up, she never had many friends. She tried to be friendly, but she never really had anything in common with the children in Trikru. When they were at the age of being taught combat and training, she was still being taught what was right and what was wrong. Then, when she was finally at the stage of beginning her training they were all being taught what their places in the clan would be. Most of the girls wouldn't be part of battles so they were taught other things while the boys went on hunts with the older men.

You'd think that she would get along with the girls her age and that they would all pick berries and flowers together while braiding each other's hair. However, that wasn't the case.

After the incident in the forest when Lincoln saved her, Kota realized that she knew nothing about how to defend herself. Lincoln was eager to teach her and because she had so much to learn with so much time on her hands they got right to work. Each morning they would wake up early and head to the empty training grounds where he would teach her basic self-defense moves. After that, she would be dismissed and enter the Commander's chambers where she would serve her for the day.

As she matured, Lincoln taught her more strategic combat moves and also introduced her to some beginner weapons and blades. Eventually, she became very skilled and nearly perfected everything he taught her.

While it was a physical workout for her, Lincoln also made sure he educated Kota mentally on why she should make specific moves while fighting or how to know when to stand down. Over time she learned that she had great hand-eye coordination skills and she excelled in stealth.

Their training sessions meant a lot to her. They weren't just them clashing blades for hours or attempting to tackle and take down each other. While Lincoln wanted her to know how to defend herself, he also wanted her to gain more confidence. His training not only shaped her physically, but mentally as well, because he always gave her words of advice and wisdom.

No matter how others viewed Dakota or what she was known for, all she had to do was believe in herself and her capabilities and soon enough people would see her for who she was. Now she was much stronger than she was years ago and her time for proving herself had finally come.

And just as Lincoln taught her everything she knew, now she decided to pass it on to Octavia and train her the same way.  The brunette had mentioned before that she felt like she wasn't appreciated at home. Everyone always seemed to look at her and automatically label her with their assumptions like "the girl in the floor" or "Bellamy's bratty little sister". And because she felt that maybe they were right, she chose to act out and live up to those expectations.