The start of a new life

Lupa observed the demigod before her. She carefully watched the young girl, who appeared to be eleven, looking for any sign of weakness. If this one did, the pack would have her permission to devour her. But if not, she would train the demigod before the girl will be sent to Camp Jupiter.

The wolf goddess could tell the girl was analyzing her too, that much could be seen by the way the demigod's green eyes were slightly narrowed. The girl's clothing seemed worn, used often, and had tears in them. Most likely came from the monsters that were around. The demigod seemed tense, not quite frightened, but not calm either. But nonetheless, by the way she held herself and her posture, it was clear that if the wolves that surrounded her showed any sign of aggression, she would attack.

Without a shadow of doubt, the girl wasn't faking her readiness to fight if needed, and most certainly not weak. Lupa let out a wolfish smile, causing the girl to narrow her eyes more and slowly move her hands to where two throwing knives were at her belt.

"There's no need for a fight," Lupa finally said to the demigod, seeming to greatly surprise her before the look of confusion and shock faded quickly. "I won't attack you and neither will my wolves. In fact, I'll train you."

~~~~~

Nearly three months passed. Rosalynn had been taught a variety of things by Lupa. It was through the wolf goddess she discovered that she was, in fact, a demigod. A Roman demigod.​​​​​​ Had anyone told her that the Roman gods were real, she would've scoffed and shot back, "Right, and I'm assuming that means wizards and witches exist too?"

But that was all in the past. Now, Lupa was basically releasing her, because apparently her training with the she-wolf was now over. That did not mean that Rosalynn was completely free though. Apparently she had to go somewhere, only, Lupa refused to explain where exactly.

As much as that greatly annoyed Rosalynn, she wasn't completely surprised. Straight answers were never really Lupa's thing. The main piece of advice she got was to, "Sharpen your senses. Trust your instincts and head south."

Helpful, but not quite what she needed. But despite the need to want to know exactly where she was supposed to be headed, Rosalynn held her tongue. She figured that any more questions would eventually annoy Lupa, especially when it was clear no more would be said.

Instead of complaining, sitting around all day, or anything else that won't prove helpful, she quietly checked her belongings. Rosalynn didn't really carry much with her, because there was no point in weighing down what she had and bring things that won't help at all.

All of her things were in a simple dark green backpack. A two spare sets of clothes, lighter, water bottle, sleeping bag, a compass, two snickers bars, Goldfish, and twenty dollars. Food, in her defense, was usually scavenged to save money. What food that was currently in her bag was there in case she wasn't near a place with good food. So far, she noticed that for some reason, that as long as she asked for small things, any passing stranger seemed to give it to her. It was something usually used to her advantage.

The only other things important yet not in the bag was a necklace that she owned since forever basically and her throwing knives. She wasn't sure why, but she felt like there was more to the necklace and the heart charm on it than what she could see. And the throwing knives, which she learned thanks to Lupa were Imperial Gold, was something she found one day. Rosalynn only knew that whenever they were thrown, they eventually returned. Which was great whenever she had to make a last-minute diversion and throw one straight at whatever she was running from.

Rosalynn gave a satisfied smile to herself, seeing everything was enough and still there. She took out the compass then slung the bag over her shoulders, then put in on correctly.

Her eyes traveled towards Lupa and her wolves. They all were just watching her. She then gave the wolf goddess a smile full of gratitude and waved them all goodbye before leaving. Despite a part of her wanting to actually say goodbye to Lupa, she honestly found it awkward rather than meaningful whenever she did.

~~~~~~

Finally, after about a week of being chased, stealing money from people in order to pay for transportation, and generally questioning what on Earth she was doing, Rosalynn felt like she was getting closer. To where, no clue. But her instincts were telling her that the place Lupa referred to was close.

At this point, she just really wanted to take a break from all this demigod stuff. Who cared one of her parents was an immortal god or goddess if it meant she was consequently chased by monsters?

Well, technically speaking, before she ever met Lupa, there were days when she actually could catch a break for some time. Those days were obviously over.