TWENTY-ONE

Nearly Four Years from The Present

"What are we doing in Brooklyn?" Aurelia asked in a bored tone, looking around as Stefan walked to a storage locker, opening it quickly, panting as he did so. She looked at the blood stain on his shirt as he stumbled over to one of two coffins, opening it up. "In case you've forgotten, Elena's in a magical coma, Stef. You won't wake her up." She said, before walking to the coffin.

She pressed her lips together at the sight of the desiccated body that wasn't Elena, before Stefan took the blood bag in his hands and pushed it into the mouth. "Damon, wake up! I need you! Wake up!" He said, forcing more blood down Damon's throat.

"He doesn't want to wake up, Stef." She observed, looking at the still body. Stefan glanced at her once, before he looked back at his brother.

"Damon, wake the hell up!" He yelled, and Damon's eyes shot open, his skin hydrating as it changed color, before he sat up with a gasp. The blood dripped from his chin as he looked at Aurelia, who smiled and waved.

"About time, too." She said.

!

Present Day

"Hey, it's Karissa." Aurelia sighed as she heard the same words yet again. "Leave a message!"

"Karissa, in case you've forgotten, it's your mother." She said. "You're starting to worry me, now, and you need to call me back before I fly over to Canada to find you." She looked down at the journal on her lap. "I love you."

She kept her phone to the side, before taking her pen out and scribbling another entry. 'Dear Elena... it was only a few weeks ago when you said goodbye to us, and told us to write to you about updates. Well, here's some bad news- in Caroline's opinion, at least. Damon's definitely nostalgic, and has decided that the only possible way to get over the "Eternal love of his life" was to help Alaric grieve over Jo and his children. So, like Damon would, he took Ric to Europe for a guy-getaway. As the person who went over there and stayed with them for a few weeks, I cannot begin to tell you what's happening there.'

She glanced up at the town square.

!

"Drinken! Drinken! Drinken!" The bar patrons cheered Alaric and Damon in Dutch. The two friends chugged their millionth cup of beer down to the very end, as the others clapped for them.

They kept their cups down on the table, groaning a little, before they exchanged looks.

'Obviously, I didn't let the children stay there by themselves.'

A large bottle of water was placed on the table in front of them as they looked up at Bonnie, who gestured to the bottle. 'Drinken.' She said in Dutch. "Now."

'So, Damon's watching out for Ric, and Bonnie's watching out for Damon. Unfortunately, no one's watching over Bonnie since I left Amsterdam two days ago.'

!

'Matt will officially be Deputy Donovan next week when he graduates. I'm really happy for him, although I was mom was here to see him do it. I know she would've been proud.'

Aurelia looked up from her writing to see Matt and the other students going on their usual jog. The blonde-hair human caught sight of the Heretic, before waving at her. She smiled and waved back, accidentally dropping her pen in the process.

She picked it up and went back to her writing. 'Speaking of mom, the Town Council gave her a bench. I'm sitting on it right now. I just reached Mystic Falls, so I thought to visit her first. Caroline's been visiting the bench pretty often, and she tells me that she hopes that she'll start missing her a little less.'