TWENTY-THREE

Nearly Four Years from the Present

Stefan let out a breath as he got out of his beloved red Porsche, before speeding to the trunk and opening it. He took his phone out, dialing a number.

"Hello?"

"Tyler, it's Stefan." He said. "Have you spoken to Aurelia or Caroline?"

"No, and please don't ask me to. I have no desire to get mixed up in your drama with Aurelia."

"Listen to me." He said hurriedly. "My scar opened up. I don't have much time. I need you to warn Caroline. She's not taking my calls, and I can't reach Aurelia."

"...Okay, I'm on it. But you should be running."

"I'm way ahead of you. Take care of yourself, Tyler." He hung up, and kept several things inside a duffel bag, before slinging it over his shoulder.

He then took out a large tank of gasoline, before dousing the car with it, including the contents of the back. He took his lighter out, when his eyes landed on his journal.

With a frustrated groan, he pulled it out and threw the lighter onto the car, making it go up in flames.

He then turned around to walk away from his car, only for a small chit with a note on it to catch his eye. He frowned, picking it up, before taking a few steps forward while reading it.

What do you think you're doing with your Porsche?

He looked at the note in surprise, due to the handwriting, before looking up and around, only to spot a familiar blonde-haired girl leaning against a vintage car, her arms folded at her head turned to look at him.

She smiled, getting off the car and opening the door. "Well, what are you waiting for? You don't get to roam Chicago without using a fancy car that makes everyone look at you." She said, taking her sunglasses off.

"Aurelia."

"Yes, that's my name." She said. "Now, get in and tell me where you want to go."

!

Present Day

Aurelia huffed, unable to contain herself from wanting to find out more about Valerie and Stefan's meeting. She had been there to see it, but she never knew what it looked like from his point of view.

She looked at Stefan's handwriting. 'Valerie was like a breath of fresh air. I'd been suffocating, and hadn't even realized it—'

A music box suddenly appeared on a table near the bed, and Aurelia looked up at it, before it disappeared.

She frowned, realizing that Nora and Mary Louise were playing yet another trick on her. She rolled her eyes, before it reappeared in front of her again. She opened her mouth to call out to them. "What are you idiots—"

The music box suddenly exploded, and Aurelia shielded herself using her arm, which was hit by several wooden splinters. She pressed her lips together, not even bothering to complain about them as she pulled them out.

"Thanks for the kiddish trick!" She yelled, before the remaining bottom part exploded again, catching her by surprise as she tumbled off the bed, hitting the floor with a groan. "Ah." She said, before she heard a phone ringing, underneath a desk. She looked at it and crawled to it, picking it up. She recognized it as Stefan's phone, and her eyes lit up before she answered it. "Hello?"

"'Rel?"

"Stefan!" She said with relief.

"How are you on my phone right now?"