Happy New Year

Welcome to the longest one-shot I have ever written. It has 6279 words and it took me all day to write it. Literally.

Enjoy it and Happy New Year!  💙

31st December 2000

"Someone ordered champagne here?" Tony asked as he entered the balcony and closed the door behind him.

"Yes, but glass and not a bottle," Pepper giggled. She normally did not, but she had already drunk a few glasses of the golden liquid.

"My fault," Tony said with a smile, filling their glasses.

"I can not believe you talked to me to stay here. Maybe I should go home, so you can focus on your guests," she said, her gaze slipping through the glass door.

"Where would you go? There is enough room here, you can stay here. I won't let you go home alone this late. Plus, I don't want to pay attention to them when I can spend time with you."

"God, do you say that to any woman you are with?" she laughed.

"You may be surprised, but not."

"I really should go."

"Please stay. There are plenty of empty rooms. And it will be midnight in a moment," he grinned, and she gave him a surprised look.

"Really? I thought it was only about ten o'clock."

"Well, time is an illusion. And especially when you spend it in good company."

"And that good company is supposed to be you, right?" she teased him.

"Naturally."

Pepper just laughed at it. There was silence between them and Pepper couldn't take her eyes off her boss. This was all wrong. She wanted to have only one drink with him and then go home. When it went wrong?

Ten.

Their eyes met.

Nine.

Their faces moved slightly closer together.

Eight.

He placed the glass on the rail beside them and then did the same with hers.

Seven.

He put one hand on her waist and the other on her cheek.

Six.

She put her hands on his chest.

Five.

Their faces came a little closer.

Four.

She wanted to pull away, but she was paralyzed.

Three.

It's just a New Year's kiss. She tried to calm herself.