Chapter Thirty-eight

Stonepaw gently pressed his nose to Swiftpaw's forehead. "I'm going to TideClan with you. But not tonight. Tomorrow morning," he told her gently, his green eyes blinking slowly. Swiftpaw broke away from him to look back at Juniperberry. The starry she-cat was gone in a heartbeat, no longer with them. Somehow, the wind blew gentler, the crickets quieted down, and the small stream bubbled. "How will you do it? How will you tell BoulderClan that you're leaving?"

"You're coming with me," he breathed, his tail lashing a bit cautiously, "We'll rest up tonight before we both make our way to BoulderClan camp. Let me say my goodbyes, tell my foster mother that you're mine... at least let her see who you are."

Swiftpaw tilted her head and her pelt felt hot. "Wait... you told your foster mother about me?" I know relationships between mates and their mates' parents can be rocky... will she accept me for who I am? The daughter of a deranged leader? She began to panic on the inside, her tail bushing up slightly. The black tabby let out a small snort, "Don't worry, love, she's okay with you."

"Oh, good," she replied in relief, her pelt lying flat, "I don't want to start any fights..." Swiftpaw realized the situation that could erupt once Redstar's eyes were set upon Stonepaw. He's so crazy, he'll probably want to kill Stonepaw. Wouldn't even allow him into the Clan... but if he won't allow Stonepaw in, then maybe my other clanmates would. Maybe the clan will accept him in slowly... there's only hope left for this. "We both know that Redstar will have a problem, but," comfortingly, she rubbed her head underneath his chin, purring, "we'll face him together. But worry not, there are some in the Clan that will accept you in."

Stonepaw returned the purr before he curled his tail around her frame. "I'm sure they would. For now, I think we should find somewhere to rest." She heard the soft grumble of his stomach and she briefly added, "And something for you, too."

"Oh, fine, only if you eat with me."

"I will. If I feel like it," 

"Swiftpaw!" She rolled her amber eyes at him and teasingly she cuffed his ear. "Just a minnow or two, that's all. Let's live a bit tonight before our big day tomorrow!" Swiftpaw purred, but her amber eyes clouded over in worry. Her heart yearned just for him and she wanted to cherish him close. She didn't want to face tomorrow alone but thankfully  Stonepaw was with her. 

The calico she-cat felt her lover's tongue gently run over her cheek. "We'll be alright tomorrow, love. As you said, we should relax tonight-- together," he told her. She blinked at him lovingly and tenderly touched his chest with her tail-tip. "Tonight is just for us," she agreed with him, "just you and me." A purr rumbled in his throat; his green eyes were filled with delight and she chuckled gently. Swiftpaw got unto her paws and told him, "Come on, let's find somewhere to rest up. Maybe look for some moss for our nest, too," 

The two cats didn't wander far from the brook. An uprooted willow tree provided just enough room for both of them to curl up under but it would have to be covered in moss or grass to make comfortable. While Stonepaw busied himself with cleaning up the small den, Swiftpaw left to catch fish to feast on. Back to the brook, she went, her paws touching the wet pebbles and the sand. The calico cat's eyes rested upon the dark waters, waiting to possibly see some movement.

As much as she wanted to focus, she couldn't. Her heart was still swelling with love for Stonepaw and she couldn't get him out of her thoughts for a bit. I can't even catch fish at this state! She thought hilariously, purring to herself. Swiftpaw forced herself to hunt, deftly dipping her paw into the waters to hook up a gray fish. With a single snap of the spine, the prey was hers to take back to Stonepaw. 

Taking it into her jaws, she turned around to head back only to witness an observing Stonepaw halfway hiding in the tall grass. The big, black tabby had his eyes trained on Swiftpaw this whole time, watching how she hunted, how she purred to herself, and how she was with the brook, quiet but quick. Noticing that she found him, shyly his ears flattened against his head and his green eyes lowered to his paws nervously. 

Swiftpaw giggled, "Did you even clean up the den? Or were you just here, gaping at me?"

"Exactly what you said," he said, free of guilt as he padded out of the grass, his green eyes shining gently. She rolled her eyes at him and when he went to nuzzle her ear with his nose, she teasingly curved him and began walking towards the uprooted willow. "Hey!" he hissed lightly, his tail curling.

Turning back to him, she remarked light-heartedly, "We have to get the nest ready, remember? Since you slacked off and decided not to!" He rolled his eyes back at her and scrambled to meet up with her, his pelt brushing hers. Playfully he meowed, "Well, back there, it seemed that you needed help fishing. I saw the way you kept jerking your paw towards the water."

"I was not!" her pelt rose slightly and felt hot, but she knew he was just teasing her. (She was a bit taken back that he did call her out, though.) She meowed back to him in a feisty way but he only chuckled. To ease her up, his tail curled around hers and he reassured her with a lick on the cheek. She briefly nuzzled her forehead against his chin before they approached their den.

It didn't take long for them to clean it up and make the bedding of soft grass and ferns. The nest looked cozy but the two cats had to eat first. Swiftpaw carefully instructed him on what to eat and what not to eat, how to eat it, how to avoid bones, and so on. With just her words he was able to open the fish up to be eaten. 

"Take the first bite, love," Swiftpaw told him, "fish is quite good. I don't know how drypaws hate fish so much." Her tail lashed in interest to see his reaction. The handsome tom observed the meat of the fish before he took a bite. Humorously, he had to spit out a small bone before chewing it. His eyes lit up in surprise and he swallowed the prey. "It's not bad at all! It tastes... like normal prey." She mrrowed in amusement before she dug in as well. Together, they finished the fish.

Afterward, the two apprentices now curled up beside each other in their nest, slightly cramped but cozy. His much bigger body made Swiftpaw feel safe, so she moved in closer to press up against him. They quietly spoke about several things; their families, their talents, some gossip, but mostly about their ambitions. When Swiftpaw's eyes began to droop tiredly, Stonepaw settled his head down beside hers.

"Love, I would like to know your opinion on something."

"What is it?"

"How would you think if I changed my name to Wolfpaw? In honor of what Juniperberry wanted to name me."

They were both silents for a moment, almost as if they were honoring that moment to Juniperberry herself. Swiftpaw nuzzled her nose to his ear, "It fits you well. You're as strong and tough as a wolf yourself. I know you must be a good fighter as well but you understand how to care for the ones you love." He brushed his cheek against hers before his green eyes closed. "You know what I think of about your name?"

"Hm?"

"It's beautiful. Just as beautiful as the cherry blossoms where we met."

________________________-

I'M BACK GUYS! 

And lol just imagine seeing big boi Stonepaw trying to sneak up and spy on Swiftpaw. 

What do you guys think of Wolfpaw for our best boi?

Legit this chapter was just a laid back one. Enjoy this lovey-dovey one.

-Morgan!