Purgatory Take Two

Dean plunged straight into purgatory, his home away from home, without looking back. Cas saunters begins him looking rather blank.

"What does this freaking flower look like anyway?" Dean grunts.

"It's a yellow daisy."

"A daisy? Michael sent us to purgatory for something we could grab from the department store for five bucks?"

"It has to be from purgatory. The soil here has different properties." Cas answered, growing more annoyed.

"And where are we supposed to find the stupid thing?"

"I don't know, Dean. Michael didn't tell me anything that he didn't tell you." A small eye roll from Cas ended their conversation for the time being.

With Dean still leading the way, they stomped all over purgatory, finding nothing. It seemed every five minutes a monster would emerge and attack. Dean would strike it down without batting and eye, and they'd move on.

Four more hours go by, and still no daisy. In fact, besides the trees and the monsters, there were no signs of life at all.

Eventually, they came to a small wooden shack in the middle of the forest. They went in slowly. On their guard. There wasn't much inside. A rusted old spade. A rake with the handle sharpened to a point. A pair of dirty gardening gloves.

"Dean, look." Cas held up a dusty pack of daisy seeds.

"That asshole." Dean grabbed the seeds. "Was this Michael's plan? Hey dickhead!" Dean shouted at nothing, "We don't have time for these games!"

"Dean. Please be quiet. We are still in purgatory, and we do not know whose shed we are infiltrating. It could be anything."

"Or anyone." Answered a southern accent from the doorway.

"Benny!" Dean went in for a hug.

"Hey brother! What brings you to my neck of the woods?"

"Angels sent us on a wild goose chase. Kind of a long story. Oh man, you have to come back with us. I thought I would never see you again."

"Me neither. I'll head back with y'all. I just gotta pack up a few things." Benny laughed heartily and put an arm around Dean and the other around Cas. "I can't believe you're still alive. And still together." He looked at Cas. "Glad to see that year we spent looking for you wasn't wasted."

Before Cas could open his mouth to say something sarcastic or passive aggressive, Dean shut down the topic.

Dean patted Benny on the back. "It's good to see you too, brother." Then he went into the shortest possible version of the story of how they ended up in the shed.

"So if you know where we could find a yellow daisy, we can be on our way." Cas cut in at the end of Dean's story partly for revenge for being cut off earlier and partly because he was always a little jealous of Benny

Dean gave Cas a sharp look which earned him another eye roll and Cas' signature squinty eyes. Benny day between them looking back and forth. "Fellas, is something wrong?"

"I just don't want to get stuck here again." Cas urges. Dean shrugs apologetically at Benny while giving him an "I'll tell you later look."

"Well, as for your flower, I gotta whole pack of seeds here."

"Yeah, man. Great. We'll just plant these, water then everyday, give them some TLC, and in 90 days, after the portal's closed, we will have ourselves a flower. Fan-freakin-tastic."

"Dean. I love you like a brother. So let me tell you a few things. Firstly, if you can find a way to get your head out of your ass, I'll tell you about my magic garden that will grow these plants in about ten minutes. After that, if you're done bein' a damn idiot, I might help with what's goin' on here."