TWENTY-SEVEN

Aurelia closed the door of her bathroom, looking at the stick in her hand as she placed her hand on her forehead. She went and sat down on Caroline's bed, while Alaric sat on her bed, looking at the box that the stick came in.

"Well, simple enough." He said. "If it's two lines, you're pregnant. It it's one, you're not." Aurelia folded her legs, a frown on her face as she looked at the stick impatiently. "What? Staring at that won't make time go by any faster."

She closed her eyes, falling back on her sister's bed. "I can't believe this." She said.

"You can't believe this as in "you don't want to be pregnant" or "you're not sure how this happened"?" He asked.

"I can't be carrying children!" Aurelia exclaimed, staring up at the ceiling. "I'm dead, but my heart beats, I breathe, I consume, but I'm still dead!" She huffed. "I've died like a million times in the past few years!"

"Is it that impossible that your body can carry a baby or two?" He asked, slightly hurt.

"I don't even know, Ric." She said.

"Well, if you're pregnant, how would you react?" He questioned.

"I guess we'll find out in..." She looked at her phone. "One and a half minutes." She raised her head a little to look at him. "Look, don't get me wrong. It's not that I don't want this. I'm just confused. I haven't been pregnant in almost 400 years, and the last time I was, I died, and one of the children that I gave birth to turned into a vampire in the Merge, and found me more than a year ago. And now, she's not responding to any of my calls or texts."

"So, you're stressed." He said.

"Yes!" She exclaimed. "Finally, someone's diagnosed me!"

!

The alarm on Aurelia's phone went off, and she sat up, looking at the stick. She let out a breath, pursing her lips as she got up from the bed and walked over to sit next to her friend. "Here." She said, handing the stick to him.

He looked at it, blinking several times. "Negative? I don't understand. Valerie was so certain."

"She must have gotten the spell wrong, right?" Aurelia asked. "There's a possibility that could happen with such spells." She said, before her eyes landed on him, and his dimmed expression. "Hey." She began, moving over to sit closer to him as she placed her arm on his shoulder. "I'm really sorry. I would've been more than happy to be your children's magical, surrogate mother."

The door opened suddenly, revealing Caroline, who looked between them. "Hey, so what's the result." Aurelia held up the stick.

"I'm not pregnant." She said, noticing the worried expression on her sister's face. "What's up?"

"Uh, so, Bonnie and Matt found two dozen people compelled to hang out at the high school." Caroline explained. "They were hydrated with saline, and just sitting there. When Matt tried to get them out, they all just came back like nothing ever happened." Aurelia frowned, standing up. "You think you're fit for a trip to the Mystic Grill?" Aurelia hummed.

"Yeah, sure." She said, before looking at Ric, who stood up. "I'll see you later?"

"Okay." He said, walking out of the room, before Aurelia went to a closet to grab a pair of her high-waisted jeans to change into from her track pants.

"So, you're not pregnant." Caroline said. "Were you excited?" Aurelia began to talk as she walked into the washroom.

"I don't even know." She closed the door. "I mean, I was surprised when I realized I was apparently with children."