Part 1

Soulmates. The universe has known of them since the dawn of time. There were two types of soulmate connections.

One of them was that soulmates would seemingly switch souls randomly from time to time, although the switching would start just as both ages of the pair were suitable enough. That being, when the youngest of the pair turned eight-years-old.

The other connection being that any injuries required from anyone of them would appear on the other pair as a faint bruise. Though, the pain however would be the same as the original injury.

People having both of them was practically unheard of, but not impossible.

So when Marinette found out that she was one of those few rare people, to say she was ecstatic was an understatement.

But all of that soon came crashing down as her soulmate, her other half, her equal in every way possible, seemingly didn't want a goddamn thing to do with her. Even going so far as to actively ignore any attempts she had made to communicate with them.

After that fact was confirmed, she decided to not cause her soulmate the trouble of feeling her pain and living in her body occasionally.

So she pushed it.

With all her strength, every single moment when she felt that familiar tug in her her mind that usually brought a euphoric sense soaring through her heart. She pushed it. She resisted it. She couldn't—she wouldn't ever be a burden.

Adding to that stress, it didn't help that the class had stabbed metaphorical daggers in her back all year long. All because of some false hope from some liar. And to top it all off, she needed to have a clear mind while carrying her duty as ladybug seeing that Chat, or rather Adrien had to retire because Gabriel had thought it fit to send his son off to boarding school in London.

So she was completely, utterly, devastatingly, alone.

And for that was what brought her over the cliff of the breaking point. For that was what cost her enemy an opening strike with which they took.

She had been completely distracted while fighting an akuma, and when the blow came, she could not bring herself to hold on to the life she had.

~

Don't get him wrong. It wasn't that Damian hadn't wanted a soulmate.

It was just, from the day he had learned of them, he had been taught in the league that they were a mere distraction. An utter burden and risk for assassins. His mother had even had the gall to implement that in the League of Assassins initiation training. Each member was required to hunt down and kill their soulmate.

So from that day on, he had hidden the fact that he even had a soulmate connection from everyone.

His habits had ran too deep however when he still didn't trust anyone while in the care of his father. It didn't help that Damian's life would always be full of danger and enemies. So, at the time, the best course of action was to ignore his soulmate bond.

Oh how stupid he was.

Damian would later come to regret his decision tremendously.

~

It had started like any normal patrol, him going off with his father on their normal route. Taking down petty criminals. Scouting the area for any suspicious activity. That sort of stuff.

Out of nowhere, he was suddenly hit with an instinct to tug on the soulmate bond and activate the switch. The last time they had switched was so long ago that Damian almost hadn't recognised the feeling.

But he had ignored it and carried on as if nothing was happening while a war was raging between conscious and subconscious.

In the batcave, a few hours later while changing out of his robin suit, he felt a sharp excruciating pain close to his heart and saw, to his horror, a bruise.

Another wave of pain ran through him and he doubled over. He could distinctly hear a voice calling (shouting) his name but he couldn't place who it belonged to.

"Damian!!"

Cries of concern, of worry. Footsteps rushing towards him. His last thought were,

Oh no,

Before he blacked out.