A short,sweet, sad,wholesome fanfic

Gilbert noticed the seasons changing, he noticed as the weather got colder and as the days got shorter. At the time he lived with Roderich, and his little brother Ludwig who was a child at this time. Roderich also had an adopted kid named Feliciano, he used to have another named Lovinio but he was given off to Antonio. He also had a girl living with him named Erzsebet. Gilbert wasn't sure what their relationship was. He couldn't tell if they were just roommates or lovers, but it really wasn't any of his business. It wasn't like he liked Erzsebet or anything? Nah totally not. He was happy living there and he knew his little brother was also happy living there.

That day Gilbert woke and got out of his bed, he first noticed how instantly cold he felt once he got out of bed. He wrapped a blanket around himself and started walking downstairs. Once he got downstairs he noticed Feliciano and Ludwig wrapping themselves in a blanket near the fire. Roderich was apparently still asleep, and Erzsebet was in the kitchen making breakfast. Gilbert sat down on the couch, pulling the blanket over himself. "Good morning!" Feliciano said "oh you're awake good morning big brother." Ludwig said. "Good morning you two. Did you sleep well?" Gilbert asked "yes" they both said. "Good morning." Roderich said as he entered the living room. "Good morning, how terribly did you sleep? You look like you got no sleep at all!" Gilbert said laughing. "Shut up Gilbert i actually slept fine.. It's so cold, i can't believe it's winter already." Roderich said. "Alright breakfast is ready!" Erzsebet said walking back into the living room.

Everyone went into the dining room and sat down to eat their breakfast. The children sat on one side of the table while the adults sat on the other side of the table. Breakfast was just typical eggs and toast nothing really fancy or special. Of course during breakfast he had to listen to Roderich and Erzsebet talk about things only the two of them were really capable of talking about. Even though Gilbert was here most of the time he wasn't there all the time. It seemed to be that the most interesting things would happen when he wasn't here so he didn't really have too much to talk about. Sometimes it seemed that the other two hated him. Yeah he had a kind of bad history with both but they were sometimes living together so why not become friends and leave the past behind. He listened in on their conversation. It was mostly Roderich trying to disgustingly flirt with Erzsebet. Did he have no shame? Flirting with someone he's not married to at breakfast? In front of children? And who is she to flirt back with him. Disgusting. It seemed to be confirmed. Erzsebet and Roderich are at least dating if not are already married. Gilbert felt like he was being kicked in the chest by that thought. He finished his breakfast and went up to his room.

Gilbert layed down on his bed crying a little bit. Am i really letting myself cry over a stupid girl? He thought to himself. He must be stupid letting himself feel this much over a stupid girl. He heard a knock on the door all of a sudden. "What is it?, What do you want?" He said trying to sound normal. "Are you okay Gilbert, i mean you got up and came up here kind of suddenly? Please tell me your okay?" Erzsebet said. "I'm fine, please leave me alone for a little while, and if you could keep the children away from me for a while?" he said. "Why don't you want to see them, and I can't control them, so no matter what I do they might come up here, and if i tell them not to that will just make them want to come here more than they already do." she said. "Fine just go away please." he yelled. "Fine i'll go. I'll check on you later." she said going back downstairs.

After a while of crying he eventually started to calm down, and then he heard a knock at the door. "Go away Erzsebet or Roderich whoever you are please go away." He yelled. "I'm neither of them, i'm Ludwig please open the door I need to get my coat and snow boots." He heard the small child yell. Gilbert quickly wiped the remaining tears off his face and quickly did a face wash trying to make his face look less red, he then opened the door. "What happened big brother are you okay?". Ludwig said. "Yeah little one i'm fine, just fine nothing happened." Gilbert replied. "Are you sure your face is red and you look like you've been crying?" Ludwig replied. Gilbert felt tears stinging his eyes again, he quickly wiped the tears out of his eyes. "I promise I'm okay now. Is it snowing?" he said "Yes it's snowing, it's really coming down out there and me and Feliciano are going to go play in the snow." Ludwig said walking in and putting on his coat. "Thats nice thats very nice how about i join you later? Are Roderich and Erzsebet going outside with you." Gilbert asked "Well yes Erzsebet is going outside with us. Roderich said it's too cold for him and it isn't really his job to worry about us." Ludwig said. Gilbert laughed "That sounds just like him, not wanting to get cold at all. Not even wanting to risk getting cold." he said. "Yeah I know." Ludwig said putting on his snow boots and running out of the room. "Have fun!." Gil yelled after him

Gilbert spent about another 30 to 45 minutes crying after that, he would have been fine if his little brother didn't bring it up but now he couldn't get it off his mind. Wait he should have asked Ludwig what Roderich and Erzsebets relationship is he would know if they were married or dating or whatever, he stayed there more often than Gil then and Feliciano lived there full time, Ludwig is Felis best friend so of course Feli would know. Gilbert began to feel stupid but he quickly put on his coat and his snow boots, and rushed outside. Once he got outside he looked around to see where the children were. He noticed the children were near the woods throwing snowballs at each other. Erzsebet was sitting on the porch steps just watching them. All of a sudden Gilbert watched Ludwig throw a snowball at her. "Hey what was that for that was cold!" She yelled grabbing a handful of snow and throwing it at him. She stood up joining in on the snowball fight. She was so pretty having little ice sickles in her hair. Gilbert ran over quickly joining in on the snowball fight just forgetting about it for now.

The snow was still coming down. After a while of throwing snowballs at each other everyone sat down to calm down for just a little bit. Gilbert felt almost like he was sweating so he took off his coat. He forgot how intense snowball fights could be, especially with children who had infinite energy. After a few minutes of resting he heard Erzsebet say. "I'm sorry kids i'm going inside i'm a little too cold, and I'm ready to warm up, I also have to make dinner so I should get to it. If you want to keep playing outside Gilbert can watch you." she said standing up and walking back inside. "Yeah i want to keep playing." Feliciano said. "I'll stay out here as long as you want to." Ludwig said. "I'll stay out here and watch you for a little while however i don't know how much longer i want to be outside, can i ask you guys a weird unrelated question?" Gilbert said. "Yes you can ask me anything." Feliciano replied "I will answer only if you let us play out here as long as Feliciano wants to." Ludwig replied. "Of course ill let you two stay out as long as you want to but only if you answer my question." Gilbert replied. The two children nodded. "The question is. Are Roderich and Erzsebet married or are they together, or what are they to each other.?" Gilbert asked curiously hoping he doesn't sound creepy. "Well umm.. The two of them got married last month. I was at their wedding it was a really nice but boring celebration." Feliciano said. GIlbert felt the tears coming back.. If they were just dating then he had a chance but nope.. They were married he had no chance at ever being with Erzsebet.. He thought to himself. "Is that why your sad big brother?" Ludwig said. "Yeah but it's fine i'm fine don't worry." Gilbert said. "I'm really sorry big brother, i can understand why it hurt you. I know you care about her." Ludwig said. "Yeah I'm sorry." Feliciano said. "It's not your fault, it's really nothing I'm okay with it." Gilbert said "It is kind of my fault.. I could have objected or told her not to marry him if i knew how you felt." Feliciano said sadly. "No i wouldn't want that, if shes happy with him then i'll it at that. I'll get over her" Gilbert said "Lets play in the snow some more that will make you get over it faster." Ludwig said.

And that's exactly what they did, they spent the rest of the day building snowmen and making snow angels and sledding as well as throwing snowballs at each other. It really did distract Gilbert from everything else that was going on and it was a nice break from the emotional roller coaster he had been on most of the day, but of course like all good things it had to come to an end. He eventually heard Erzsebet yell at them to come inside and eat dinner, and with that Gilbert started feeling emotional again. He knew the pain was only temporary but why did it have to hurt so bad?