Chapter 1

I opened my eyes for the first time. Sweat clung to my face and my brow. I groaned and sat up, wiping it off with my sleeve.

My head ached and I stood up not recognizing where I was. Corn stretched out as far as my eye could see. It waved in the wind, as if it was dancing.

I winced as I felt the bump on my head. It was big and could lead to an infection. Having no idea what direction north was, I went the way I was facing. The corn scratched up against my body and making it impossible to see what was outside of it.

After what felt like hours I reached the end of the corn. It thinned out in front of me and I could see a road up ahead.

I let out a sigh of relief and headed towards it. Cars whooshed past me all going to different locations. I stood on the edge of the road looking about.

This car pulled to the side and stopped. A lady in her 30's rolled down her window. "Are you lost?" she asked me with sympathy in her eyes.

"Yes ma'am," I nodded and she opened up the passenger door. "Please let me take you to town, it's the least I could do," she smiled at me, her eyes brimming with curiosity and kindness.

"Oh alright then," I hopped into the car and shut the door behind me. "Welcome to Carswell, North Carolina, if I may ask what's your name honey?" she looked at me through the mirror.

"It's Fawn, Fawn Barrignton," I said astonished that I knew my name.