24.1: Hiding things from them

At lunch, Cypur, Wescherlie, and Daero were enjoying a picnic out by the lake. It was halfway through dessert of a triple berry pie that Daero announced that he had found a Sorcerer female that might help them.

"She used to work for Zarkentauf's Library which was not your typical library," he explained. "The Library of Eternals and Deaths and it archived and recorded all Sorcerers that had ever lived and died, and what they did. She might have also worked near or around the adoption archives, so you, Cypur, could ask her about that."

Starlights, finally a good contact. Relief washed over him. It was such a long time coming to get some headway at last.

"I wonder if that's the one Precense told us about?" He wiped crumbs from his chin and handed another tissue to Wescherlie who had berry juice on her cheek. She took it but didn't use it. Sighing, he wiped her cheek for her, and she pretended to bite him.

"Oh, come on!" He smirked and threw the tissue in her lap. She crinkled her nose at him as she grinned.

"So, we just make her tell us things?" she asked, shoving another chunk of pie in her mouth. "Slack pie, mmm!" Some crumbs fell on her lap, but she ignored it.

Daero chuckled. "Wescherlie, I thought you were a lady by now."

She stuck her tongue out at him and brushed the crumbs away.

"Anyway, just my name would do," Daero said, "I can send you off to Poppintum directly. It's where she lives. Her name is Marlevianne Trufflesome, a lion-like or Leovra. Halfhuman Sorcerer."

Wasn't Poppintum where Wescher—Wes wanted to go? He hid a mirth behind his hand. Calling her by the nickname was going to need some getting used to.

After they finished their pie, Wescherlie announced she needed to stretch her legs. Before anyone could say anything, she flew off across the lake. With a shout of spell, launched a spray of water in their direction. Quickly, Cypur diverted it with a wind spell, and it hit an approaching Kirlan, drenching his stomach.

"Feigat!" he cursed, bristling. Cypur gulped when Kirlan glared at him. Now he was certain to have made an enemy out of that Kathula.

"Sorr—"

"You missed a spot," Wescherlie said with giggle, splashing water into Kirlan's face. With a hiss, he made a grab for her, but she dodged. She turned into a raven midair and flew away. Kirlan growled and chased her.

"Do Kathula hate water?" Cypur said and snickered when Kirlan leapt in the air, trying to pull Wescherlie down. It was a crazy sight to see a feline type chase a bird type, mirroring their counterparts.

Daero laughed. "Only if it's sudden." He rested an arm on his knee. The other leg stretched out and his tail squished under his other arm. When he spoke, his tone was serious.

"Cypur, while I was out, I took liberty to sneak around your town."

Cypur didn't even want to think about what happened to Cormeialette since he became a wanted criminal. He did hope the neighbors hadn't done anything horrible to his family. He frowned when he thought of them as his family. They were his family and would forever be. He was a Sorcerer, not a Human. The lifespan was vastly different. He would look young longer than his Human parents.

But what about after all this? Wouldn't they disown me?

"To be frank, I think you should stay a little longer."

Cypur blinked, turning to face Daero who was watching Wescherlie and Kirlan tumble about on the opposite side of the lake. Both Cypur and Wescherlie had tried hard to get better soon so that they could leave as soon as possible.