The beginning

[POV] From the eyes of a single mother

     The streets were packed with people wherever you go. There was barely any room to move more than your fingers in this tight mess of people. I felt the mans breath behind me on my neck, and I smelled the stinky, fishy smell of the fishing hat the other man on my right side wore. As well as all that was going on, the womans gigantic, bushy hair on my left side was constantly hitting me right in the face.  Can't get any worse than this. A loud fart came from the fat man in front of me.

Great.

His fart smelled of burnt mushroom and tequila. I almost gagged of the smell.

I didn't exactly get surrounded by the best people in this crowd, but no worries. Only about ten minutes till I reach the store and get surrounded by other strangers. Hopefully not so smelly. I will most likely take my weekly shower today, because I'm afraid the smell on his fart actually stuck onto me, since I was smashed into his back by the big crowd.

Me and my son live in a big building with over 1000 people, so the water is limited, and that's why we only get to shower one time per week.

All I wanted to do today was buy a birthday cake to my little boy. He's turning four years old today. He's actually home with the babysitter at this moment. She only had an hour to babysit him, so my plan was to go quick to the store, buy the piece of cake and surprise my little fella.

I reached the store after twenty minutes, a little more than I expected but planning on how long it takes to go to places now is basically impossible because it all depends on the crowd. If the crowd stops several times without moving or if you are lucky and end up in a crowd where it actually moves in a nice space.

The overpopulation was getting too out of hand. The government should do something about it, because this isn't working for anybody. Many in my building wants to build a family of more than one child. I know of my best friend and her boyfriend for instant. They want a family of five. Three kids, plus those two.

Fifty years ago that was usual to have three kids, but now, that is a big family and lots of kids. There is a law that says we only can have one child, but no one follows that rule, and the police don't have the capacity to do something about it either. All the prisons in the world is full and no police can really get anymore in the mass of people outside.

I went back into the crowd after I got the cake and headed back home. I can see my apartment by just standing in the doorway of the store. I have already used thirty minutes, so hopefully this isn't a crowd that stops all the time, because I need to get to my son before the babysitter have to leave. I wouldn't be surprised if the babysitter left when she had to.

The world may be overpopulated, but the search of good babysitters are almost non-existent. I saw the woman beside me slightly move her head to me and sniffed me. She instantly coughed and turned away. I bet I still smell of burned mushroom and tequila fart. There is too much noice, smells and people to be bothered by my smell, that got inflicted by a fat man.

I finally reach my building after twenty five minutes, and I would like to run up the stairs to my kid, but that was impossible when there's also hundred people in the stairway going both ways. A person bumped hard and sudden into my back, which causes me to loose balance and accidentally smash my new bought slice of cake into the back of the womans hair in front of me. An instant  mixed feeling of anger, disappointment and sadness poured through me.

I didn't know if to scream, cry or laugh by this incident, but I did manage to say I am sorry to the lady in front of me who got cake all over her hair. The best thing about this incident, is that the woman had already used her weekly shower today in fact. I, of course, felt bad for her so I gave her mine. I can smell like burned mashroom and tequila one more week.

Oh and yes, that was sarcasm, because I can assure that was not the best thing.

I looked down at my now smashed up, destroyed cake in disappointment. I'm by my door, now and it's been thirty four minutes so I have no time to go back to the store. I can buy him a cake another day.

When I was about to open the door, it swung open by its self. The babysitter was already dressed and ready to go.

«I'm sorry, I really do have to go right now. Bye" the babysitter said and dived into the crowd going down the stairs. I went inside my apartment, and the first thing I was greeted by was a big hug by my kid.

He repeatedly whispered "I miss you, I miss you, I miss you."

I hugged him back and stroke his back, said "Everything will be alright because mommy is here now. Happy birthday, baby".

He backed slowly away and when he took one last glance up at me, just to be sure I am actually here, he ran back in the direction of the living room. I heard the TV was shut on in the distance. Luckily, I didn't tell him about the cake I wanted to buy him, then he would have been disappointed by me, like I'm not disappointed of myself.

I bathed my little boy, soaked him in the water and took the opportunity to wash myself under my arms at least. I also washed my face with our drinking water and that is about what I could do for myself this week.

At least I have something to look very much forward to next week; a shower, even though it's just a one minute shower. At night I read him a bedtime story, sang him a song and he fell in a deep sleep after that. When I went back to the living room, I decided to watch news. I barely have time or possibility to do so, about time now.

I turned the TV back on, switched the channel and the next ten minutes of watching the news was a pure nightmare.

«The overpopulation is a catastrophe, one can not go out of their homes without being crushed by a bunch of stranger to do even a small errand. We may not be able to do something right this instant, but we do not want this for our later generations, so actions must be made now and there is about to be done something about this crises. The government have discovered a new way. From this day forward, every new born baby will get a chip installed in their hand. Since this is new, we will go and install this chip on every person under the age of eighteen.This chip will be untouched for eighteen years, but when they turn eighteen, this chip will light up a color. it's quite simple actually! Green means you get to keep on living your great life and red means you are the lucky one that gets to help the future generations after us live a greater life! But don't worry if you are afraid. There are other possibilities too. You can also give a life, which means you can also receive a life by someone who's given it to you, freely. If someone does this, you will get the color blue. Twins have a special color. They will get yellow, and they will have to choose which one has to do the greatest honor of their life by saving the future! I bet that will be a hard one".

I laid with my son, hugging him the whole night and wishing for the best. In fourteen years, he will have to go through this. What if he dies?