Embers

Her little fists glowed orange like an ember. The light seemed to seep from her palms. Though her hands were tightly clenched, the warm color couldn't be hidden. Her fierce brown eyes were red-rimmed and brimming with tears, but she held my stare with defiance, her trembling lip not stifling the fire that burned through her heart and skin.
I drew level with her and offered my empty hands as truce. Her stare didn't change but her feet shuffled indecisively, unsure whether or not to trust me. Kneeling on the cold wet pavement, I bowed my head for a heartbeat, letting her see my ease. Slowly, her hands lowered, the light fading, until there was only a faint afterimage stuck to her palms.
"We can protect each other." I said again. "I promise." I quietly added.
Her tears traced down her cheeks and a short sob broke free as she gave up utterly. She practically fell into my arms, sagging against me and crying, letting go of the built up fear and pain. She had to take care of herself for so long. She gave in, knowing if she couldn't have someone to trust, she wouldn't keep fighting for herself.
I held her tightly. Trying for once, to give someone care, and give up myself; to warm a soul, and to comfort a crying child.