TWENTY-NINE

A Little More than Three Years from the Present

"Stefan, you can't go." Valerie said, as Stefan packed his bag.

"She has Damon and Caroline." He said. "Damon just had to go there after Caroline gave out that message."

"She has them because she wants you!"

"Well, then she's gonna get me." He stated.

"How're you going to get there?" She asked.

"Me." The two friends turned and looked at Aurelia, who walked into the room with a small bag. "I got the blood!"

"Aurelia?" Valerie asked. Aurelia smiled.

"Hello, Val." She said. "As I was saying, I'll be this guy's ride to save my friend and, uh, sister."

"Why are you going with her?" Aurelia raised an eyebrow.

"Unkind." She said. "Take that back."

"Well, she's what I got." Stefan said, earning a scoff.

"Listen, the only reason you're not dead is because of me."

"Look, you're not coming with me because she already has two people who are in trouble because of me." He said. "Aurelia has nothing to lose and she made that clear. She also seems to know a lot about such places."

"Thank you."

!

Present Day

"Mm, how are you doing?" Aurelia asked, drinking from a glass of hot chocolate. "Since Lily's funeral?"

"'Rel, it's been weeks." Aurelia hummed.

"Yes, I noticed from all the Christmas decorations hanging around." She said, looking around.

"How are you?" He asked. She looked at her stomach, lightly rubbing it. "And the kids?"

"We're all good." She replied. "Wait until you see me. I grew way too much these past few weeks. I think I have a pot belly."

"Yeah, well, put on a Santa hat and you'd fit right in Sunbury Street." She laughed. "What are you doing?"

"Helping Caroline out with the Toys for Tots drive." She answered, looking at a few gifts in a crate. "She says that we want 10 more crates than last year's drive."

"And what did you say?"

"I said that we're compelling way too many people." She stated, taking another sip of her hot cocoa. "I miss your hand-made meals for me."

"I'm coming back soon, you know..."

"But you've been gone for over a week!"

"I'd have come back a lot sooner if my travelling companion would actually stick to task instead of stopping by every single bar we pass." Aurelia smiled.

"It's called a pub crawl, Stef!" She heard Damon call. "That's the whole point! Don't be such a Grinch, or you'll get coal in your stocking."

"He does have a point." She said.

"Oh, not you, too. I thought we were sticking together."

"Well, judging by the empty space that my boyfriend is supposed to fill at my side, I don't think we're actually stuck together." She said, hearing chuckles.

"Are you sure you don't need me there?"

"Wants and Needs are two very different things." She said. "Besides, you're doing something far more important by looking for Julian. I can handle myself."