CDN HISTORY by KENNY RUSS WARREN

• Dedicated to QUEEN'S OWN CAMERON HIGHLANDERS

     Sir John A. Macdonald is the Father of Confederation, hence the Father of Canada. You could call him your 2nd father, but don't bother. Instead, call him Sir Dad, or Sir Mac.

       Anyway, Sir John shone upon July one, 1867, when he became our first PM. As a Scottish lad he came to Upper Canada clad in plaid. When he became the Dad of Canada he had a rad pad near Parliament and was clad in glad, very glad indeed.

      Why did Sir John unite three British Colonies and make them four provinces of a new country called Canada?  Because in 1812 the Yankees had invaded our colonies, and although they were beaten, they remained a great threat to our little Canada. That War of 1812 was a supercalifragilisticexpialidocious occasion. While the Yankee soldiers were atrocious, our First Nation warriors were ferocious. With the great help of Chief Tecumseh and his braves, Sir Isaac Brock, our Major General, and his soldiers sent the Americans hurrying, worrying, and scurrying home.

      By uniting the colonies to become the Dominion of Canada, Sir Dad made the Yankees mad because they knew that Dad would add more provinces to his ironclad confederation. And iron is one thing he did add.

        Sir Mac laid track smack across the Prairies and through the Rocky Mountains. Clickety-clack!  Trains brought settlers over the track to that prairie outback.  The Micmac, and most other aboriginal tribes, smoked tobac' peace-pipes with the track-Jacks, and then rode off on their horses, bareback. Soon the Prairies were loaded with settlers and farmers in shacks tending grain stacks and building elevators along the tracks. Sir Mac's tracks united the country from sea to sea.

       Landwise, Canada became the second largest country in the world. One of Sir John A. Macdonald's statues is standing proudly at the entrance to Victoria's City Hall. Sir John not only united Canada from Victoria to Halifax, there was a time, as Prime Minister, that he lived in Victoria, BC, because he represented the city as a Member of Parliament. Sir Mac even laid track (the E&N Railway) up and down Vancouver Island.