Part 1

Mao Mao swiped the sweat from his forehead, feeling his muscles burning from the early morning training. Stepping out of the dojo, Mao Mao was greeted to light from the rising run. He loved peaceful mornings like this, always taking a moment to appreciate the quiet and serenity. It seemed to never last around here, especially when--

"Good morning, Mao Mao!" the familiar, plucky voice of Adorabat surprised the black cat. Mao Mao quickly hid his surprise and faced Adorabat with a slightly forced smile.

"You're always up early," the eager bat pointed out.

"Of course I am, Adorabat. It's important that I wake up before sunrise for my very own...private training," Mao Mao said dramatically, feeling immense satisfaction from the awe in Adorabat's voice.

"That's so cool!" Adorabat squealed and then paused in thought for a second. "Mao Mao? How come Badgerclops doesn't wake up early to train?"

"Well, Adorabat. That's because Badgerclops is a big lazybones...and we've already established an agreement that Badgerclops is free from early morning training," Mao Mao groaned, remembering a time when he would hear nothing but Badgerclops complaining about how tired he was and how early it was until the cat couldn't take it anymore.

"Oh, well. Okay, then." Adorabat shrugged, flying off to make herself a bowl of cereal.

Mao Mao took a moment to make a note that it would still be some time before Badgerclops would get up. There wasn't much to do, but carry out his day as he usually would.

"Adorabat, keep an eye on things. I'm gonna work on the aerocycle a bit," Mao Mao said, walking off to occupy his time.

"Alright!" the bat yelled while she poured her cereal.

Mao Mao had spent a good amount of time on overall maintenance on the aerocycle. He wiped the grease off of his fur and looked out the garage window to see that the sun was, indeed, high in the sky. He was sure that Badgerclops was up by now. Walking back to the living room, Mao Mao found Adorabat watching cartoons, but his partner in crime was nowhere to be seen.

Mao Mao groaned to himself, hoping that he wouldn't have to drag the heavy badger out of bed again. The last time he pulled him off the top bunk Badgerclops nearly crushed him. Mao Mao shuddered at the thought, but made up his mind to at least check on him.

"Hey, Badgerclops. You up?" Mao Mao asked as he entered the bedroom. Badgerclops had his back turned to Mao Mao, but froze regardless.

"Oh, hey Mao Mao." Badgerclops greeted shakily, turning around quickly to face the cat.

"I didn't expect you to be up. I...just came to check up on you," Mao Mao explained himself, narrowing his eyes in suspicion.

"Well, I'm up." Badgerclops said quickly. "I'll be out there in a minute or two."

"Badgerclops, are you hiding something?" Mao Mao dropped the act and decided to cut to the chase.

"What? Me? Hiding? Come on, Mao..." the badger chuckled desperately. "Ha.... I might be."

"Come on, buddy. Out with it," Mao Mao tapped his foot firmly. Badgerclops let out a heavy sigh and stepped to the side, revealing a half-packed suitcase that sat upon the lowest bunk. "I was going to wait a little while longer before I told you," Badgerclops implied.

"Before you tell me what?" Mao Mao pressed. Badgerclops looked away, wringing his paws guiltily. He really wanted to let Mao Mao know a week before, but he could never bring himself to do it. He had no idea how the cat would react to the news.

"Okay, what I wanted to tell you is..." Badgerclops paused and took another deep breath. "That I feel like it's time for me to go."

"Go? Go where?" Mao Mao blinked. "And when will you be back."

Badgerclops balled his paw and spoke gently but firmly to his partner, "Mao Mao, I'm leaving Pure Heart Valley...and I won't be coming back."

"What do you mean you're leaving?!" Mao Mao stammered. "You can't just leave. What -- what about..?" Badgerclops turned around to continue packing his things while Mao Mao was still wrapping his head around what he just heard.

"What about the team? What about Adorabat or the Sweetypies?" Mao Mao huffed.

"Come on, dude. You and I both know that you're more than strong enough to take on whatever comes around here ," Badgerclops reassured. "You don't need me around here. You got this....and also Adorabat already knows."

"So you told her?" Mao Mao hissed. "And how long ago was that?"

"About a weak ago..." Badgerclops admitted, guiltily.

"Well, aside from that...you can't go. What about monsters? What if the sky pirates come back?" Mao Mao argued.

"Everytime a monster or the sky pirates show up it's always you who saves that day, Mao." Badgerclops shrugged. He put the last of his belongings in a suitcase and closed it. "I think it's about time for me to find a place where I belong." He picked up his suitcase, walking past Mao Mao. The cat quickly followed and watched as Badgerclops put the suitcase down and approached Adorabat.

"Well, Adorabat. I guess the time has finally come," Badgerclops told her.

"Aww, I thought you weren't leaving until later," Adorabat said with a tone of sadness in her voice. "I'm gonna miss you, Badgerclops." The small bat stood up from the couch to hug Badgerclops. "I'm gonna miss you, too," Badgerclops smiled. The two released each other and Badgerclops picked up his suitcase once again and walked towards the front door.

"Badgerclops wait!" Mao Mao called. He wanted to make one more attempt to convince Badgerclops to stay. But the alarm went off, signifying everyone that there was trouble.

"Hah, an emergency! We should take it on one last time!" Mao Mao suggested, hoping it would work.

"Alright," Badgerclops smiled, knowing well that Mao Mao is doing this because he doesn't want him to leave, but the idea of one last battle became more and more appealing. One last battle for the badger to remember his friends by.

"Alright, let's go!" Mao Mao barked, prompting everyone to move out quickly.