Occasional Friends

Saturdays are usually the same for Sean. He and his four best friends order some fast food, head to one of their basements, and play video games until they eventually pass out. It was fun for them and Sean was content spending his high school weekends being nerdy with his closest friends. He didn't need to run around causing trouble or getting drunk like most of his classmates...including her.

Sean could thank Amanda's mom for being the sole reason she even knew of his existence. Their mothers were best friends before they were born; so naturally they had play dates all the way up to middle school. It was around that time when Amanda's looks pulled her in the direction of popularity and left Sean behind. But despite their different cliques, Amanda and Sean were still friends. They continued to talk in the halls at school and would even share the random meal together outside of school grounds. But when the weekend came along, she had partying to do while Sean stayed safe in his friend's basement.

Sean sat there playing with his friends, but his mind was off in another place. He would imagine he and Amanda on a roller coaster together or burying each other in the sand at the beach. His friends screamed at the television screen while he just sat back and fantasized the day when he finally built up enough courage to tell her how he felt. He pictured himself in the courtyard of their school, wrapping his arms around her waist as he brought her in close and kissed her lips.

But like in all of Sean's fantasies, he was ripped back to reality where he and Amanda were nothing more than occasional friends. This time the snap back to the real world was caused by his friend Bill smacking him on the shoulder. "Come on, dude. We're losing by fifteen."

"Chill out!" Sean snapped at him. "It's just a game."

Bill's back stiffened, genuinely surprised by the reaction. "Whoa, man. Sorry. Jeez."

Sean went back to playing the game, but he could feel his friend's eyes leering. The four of them continued to play game after game in the muggy basement until Sean's phone vibrated on the coffee table. The four friends all turned around and looked at the clock, which read just past midnight.

"That better not be your mom," Rob said. "You're sixteen years old, Sean. You should be able to spend a night away from home by now."

"Screw you, asshole."

Sean's heart dropped into his stomach when he saw he had a text message from Amanda. Bill looked over and noticed Sean staring down at the phone instead of playing the game. "What's wrong?"

"N—nothing. I'll be right back."

Sean stood and walked to the back of the basement while reading the text: Call me...please.

He dialed Amanda's number by heart and his arm shook as he put the phone to his ear. It rang once, twice, and then Amanda picked up.

"Hello?" Sean could hear the tears in her voice.

"Amanda, hey. What's up?"

"I'm sorry, Sean. But...can you pick up me up. I need a ride."

"What's wrong?"

"Just come please."

"Tell me where you are. I'll be right there."

Sean hung up the phone and began walking up the stairs.

"Hey!" Rob yelled out stopping Sean in his tracks. "Where the hell are you going?"

Sean turned around embarrassed. "There's just something I gotta do."

"It's not that girl again, is it?" Sean looked down at the ground in shame.

"Come on, Sean," Bill nagged. "She has a boyfriend. She's never going to get with you."