The Drive

Bonnie stood, leaned against her parents black Ford Focus, her eyes closed with her face pointed toward the sky; the soft drizzle of rain, wetting her face.
From her left, she could hear her parents bickering inside their house. They weren't fighting, no, they were just loud people.
She heard the door open, and sighed.
"Bonnie! Zip up your jacket, do you want to catch a cold?" Her mother said, shaking her head; Brown short curls bouncing as she walked toward the car. "Have you finished packing? We need to get ready to leave." Her mother tapped a red painted nail to her perfect tan skin; flashing a matching red lipped smile. "I know you must be worried, but you really need this, dear"
Without opening her eyes, Bonnie nodded.
"Maisie, do you have your purse?" Her father asked from the doorframe, holding two suitcases.
"Oh!" Her mother exclaimed. "No, I don't. Can you get it for me, Adrian? I have to call and get us a hotel room."
Her father looked down at his already full arms, and glanced over at his daughter; who was peeking at him from under her eyelashes. He gave her a pleading smile, "Could I have a hand, Bon Bon?"
Bonnie sighed, but walked over to take one of the suitcases from him, and walking it over to the trunk of the car. Inside, on the passenger seat, her mom was on the phone, arguing with some poor receptionist.
Her father disappeared into the house, before returning with a pale pink purse; and locking the door behind him.
He walked over to join Bonnie in putting the other suitcase in the trunk. He pulled her close, kissing the top of her head, "It's okay, champ. It won't be so bad..."
"Right..." she mumbled under her breath.
Her dad closed the trunk, and smiled at her. "Come on, maybe you'll make friends."
"Oh sure." She began, "because everyone wants to befriend the weird small girl, who sees things."
Adrian shook his head, "don't think like that. It'll work out, okay?"
She just smiled and nodded. The two walked to the driver side of the car, and got in.
"Oh Adrian! I got us a hotel right next to La Bella's for a night, isn't that great?" Her mother beamed at her father.
"That's great, isn't it, Bud?" He smiled so big at Bonnie through the rear view mirror, that she could see the crow feet by his eyes. "We can make sure you get settled in before heading home."
"So great." Bonnie said softly, pulling her IPhone from her wine colored jacket, and putting her earphones in.
As her parents sat upfront, discussing just how great La Bella's will be for her, Bonnie turned up the volume on her phone and listened to Pandora as they started their drive to her new home.