thirty eight

+

+

I looked at my reflection for what felt like the thousandth time, white flack jacket secured around my chest. The single shoulder strap went around my left shoulder, leaving my right open for the hand of my tanto to peak over. I wore a loose yellow short sleeve shirt with a pair of black cargo pants. But I wasn't gonna make the same mistake a second time—a pair of shorts along with a couple extra shirts in my packed bag. Heat stroke? No fucking thank you.

"Still trying to get used to the new look?"

I glanced over my shoulder, meeting my dads brown eyes. He leaned against the doorframe, arms crossed and one leg placed behind the other neatly. The ghost of a smirk was on his lips, almost like he thought he knew exactly what I was gonna say next. It kinda ticked me off. Ok... not kinda. It ticked me off a lot.

Letting out a deep sigh, I looked back at the mirror and smoothed out the flack jacket again. "I'm mostly worried what Katsu is gonna say when he realizes his two teammates got promoted and have a mission without him."

"You?" He faked a gasp. "Worried about another's feelings?"

I glared at his reflection, meeting his eyes in the mirror. "That isn't funny, asshole. I'm being serious."

Kenji shrugged. "Just tell him you have a mission, you and Ryuu got promoted, and you'll be back in two weeks. Easy-peasy."

"I know what to say, but the problem is what comes after." I smacked my forehead. "Why does this gotta be so complicated? Why couldn't we all get promoted?!"

"Because that would make things too easy. And life, frankly, is anything but." My old man walked over and stood behind me, placing his hands on my shoulders. He cracked a small smile, giving a firm squeeze. "However, as it needs to be said, I'm proud of you. You've been a genin for only a year, yet here you are, already a chunin. At this rate you'll be a jonin in two years."

I snorted. "No fucking way."

"Never say never." He clapped me on the back, letting out a snicker. "Now get on outta here and head to the Leaf village. I want you to make it there and back in one piece, got it?"

I rolled my eyes, grabbing my pack off the floor. After double checking the scroll Raikage-sama gave us was still inside, I pulled one strap over my shoulder and stuck my other hand in my pocket. I raised a brow at my old man. "I think I can handle myself. Don't get all mushy on me."

Kenji sighed, crossing his arms. "I'm not getting mushy. There's just... some rumors. About things you don't need to worry about. Just be careful."

My joking demeanor deflated. "Like?"

"Nothing that concerns your mission." He said, walking out of my room and down the hall.

Frowning at the lack of answers, I walked out of my room, following his trail. Stopping by the futon, I glanced at him, about to pester him one last time. But he already beat me to it.