Prologue

The sky outside was full of light grey clouds that poured their emotions out all over town, letting everyone know that they had a rough day and deciding to make ours harsh too, not that I mind the rain though, I love it unlike others, which makes me a true Oregonian, as my mom says. Weather like this was typical here in Oregon. The sound of the rain hitting the roof of the school lulled me off into space, into an empty part of my brain where I just listened to the sounds of the shower and nothing else.

Plop.

Plop.

Plop.

My fingers picked at the plastic wrapping of my water bottle, my cheek rested on my hand, and my eyes slowly started to close shut, letting the peaceful sound sing me to sleep. Then something shook my shoulder, causing me to whip my head up and make a loud snorting sound. Instantly my eyes shot at my best friend, Minho, sending him the deadliest glare I could muster.

"Thank you, Minho," Mrs. Desmint, our health teacher, said, "What I'm about to say is important, so try to stay awake Rain."

Rain. The nickname was given to me by Minho a long time ago. We were about six years old, and it was raining outside during recess so the teacher wouldn't let us play out, I threw a fit saying we'd be perfectly fine and that I could care less if I got wet, but the teacher still said we couldn't go outside. When it came to be nap time the teacher went into the other room to prepare for the activities we were going to do next, that's when Minho came over to me and whispered, "Hey, Rain, let's go play." He thought my name was Rain, but the name just stuck with me ever since. So that's what everyone calls me.

"Get out, lockout, and then knock out." The teacher's voice pulled me out of the memory.

"Those are the three steps we must follow when an intruder is in the building, or when something dangerous is taking place. Get out is where you're supposed to get out and leave the school campus and go to our designated safe spots, which are two churches about a block away on either side of the school, to run as fast as you can to those places to get to safety. Lockout is where if you're in a classroom and danger was close by; then you'd need to lock the door and barricade it to make it harder for the intruder to get in. Knock out is where after you've to barricade the door, you need to find a weapon or something to protect yourself, and if the intruder comes in, then you need to knock them out, injure them, or even kill them if it comes down to it."

The thought of ever killing someone made chills run throughout my body. If it ever came down to me killing someone cause my life or someone else's life was in danger, I'd probably end up not doing it cause my fear of hurting others, no matter who, is way too strong, but who knows? Maybe my fear of losing my life or losing someone I love would be enough for me to harm someone.

A loud, ear-piercing scream rang throughout the hallway outside the classroom door. The hairs on my body stood straight up, and I looked to Minho on my left and then looked over to my right to see my other friends worried faces, Felix and Changbin, who had stopped their conversation and looked back at me with the same amount of worry in their eyes. Something just wasn't right, and we could all feel it. We've heard screams before in the hallway, people yelling around to cause a commotion, or people trying to be funny like the one time someone in the hall yelled: "ow my vagina." It was funny, and the whole class tried to hold in their laughter, but no one was laughing right now.

"Class, please pay attention; this is important," the teacher spoke.

I turned in my seat to face Minho, and I whispered to him, "What do you think is going on out there?"

"No clue, but I don't like the way that screams sounded and how it was full of-"

"Terror." We both said at the same time.

"I also didn't like it," A broad Australian accent spoke, "I've had weird vibes all day, and that just made this sickening feeling worse."

I stared at Felix as he clutched his stomach and explained this feeling he felt. My body started to tremble as I focused on that same feeling in my body, it's one of those feelings that is so scary it freaks me out, causing an anxiety attack to build up inside me.

"I-I-I," I paused to try and take a deep breath, "I've had the same feeling."

Minho started rubbing my back and told me to relax and breathe. He always noticed when I had a panic attack, and he knew how to help calm me down. I don't know what I'd do without him, we've spent every second of our lives together since that day in kindergarten, he's always been the strong person I needed when times were tough. My body began to relax, and he moved his hand from my back and grabbed my hand, holding it gently and tracing small circles with his thumb, I smiled at him and thanked him.

The static sound of the intercom coming on made the whole class pause as we waited to hear the announcement. When a few seconds passed, and no voice was heard, the teacher assumed they turned it on by mistake, like they've done several times in the past, but as Mrs. Desmint's mouth opened to speak a soft voice whispered through the intercom,

"Get out."

And as if on cue, the classroom door flung wide open, making everyone jump back in their seats and scream. An upperclassman, Lindsey Katnear, stood in the doorway, her skin was pure white, and her eyes were almost looking like the grey clouds outside, her body trembled as she took a step inside the classroom, falling onto her knees and letting out a painful cry. She gripped a huge gaping hole at her hip, where her flesh just dangled there, and her insides were exposed for all to see. Mrs. Desmint approached Lindsey slowly, kneeling to be at the same height as her, asking if she was okay. The classroom was silent for a while, and my hold on Minho's hand got tight, he squeezed mine back just as hard. The silence broke as a deep growl escaped Lindsey's mouth.

"A-are you okay?" Our teacher spoke and placed her hand on the student's back.

Lindsey looked up at Mrs. Desmint, and even though her hair was covering her face, I could see that her eyes were now a milky white color. Her eyes resembled the eyes of someone who passed. There was no soul behind them. Lindsey was no longer the one controlling her body; that thing sitting on the ground was a monster. Another growl erupted from the pale beast before it flung its body at Mrs. Desmint, sinking its teeth into the flesh of her neck and ripping it out and going back for more.

"Rain," Minho's voice called out to me, "We have to leave."

Changbin and Felix were already up and ready to leave waiting for Minho and me, but my body wouldn't move. No matter how much I wanted to get up and run away from this place, my body just wouldn't budge.

"Rain seriously we have to go," Changbins voice flowed through my ears.

"I-I can't move," I looked up to Minho with pleading eyes.

He sighed, leaning down and wrapping his arms around my waist to pull me up out of my seat, then he turned around and bent down.

"Get on my back," he demanded me. Without questioning him and I got on his back, and he stood up with ease. Slowly we all slipped out of the classroom and got into the hall, what we weren't expecting was to see more people gnawing on other people's flesh, it was a bloodbath everywhere I looked. I dug my face into Minho's neck and prayed we'd make it out of the school alive.