Chapter 1

George looked through the window. They had buried what was left of Mike in the yard right below him. The poor kid had screamed so loud his throat tore up. Fred had spent hours digging up the grave and Helen planted daffodils over it. The flowers moved with the wind, slowly. The rain stopped and the silence took over the room. George heard steps coming from the stairs, Grace smiled at him and stood beside him.

— What are you thinking about? — she caressed his back — You look sad.

— Mike... — George sighted

Grace stayed silent and looked at the grave. Suddenly she felt a punch in her stomach and her eyes started to fill up with tears, but she contained them. She could almost hear the sound of the water still running while Mike screamed. It had been just two days since that, but the world felt completely different.

                                                                                            •             •             •

Mike was sitting on the couch in what must have been the most uncomfortable position ever. His legs were extended to the roof and his hoodie covered up his face. Fred was reading the newspaper by his side, turning the pages slowly with a worried expression.

— When are George and Grace coming?

— They should arrive in a few minutes, don't be impatient.

— Im just worried — Fred looked at the watch on his wrist —. They should've arrived thirty minutes ago.

— Its probably just the traffic.

— I hope so, with everything going crazy in the news... Im just a bit paranoid.

— Do you want me to call them?

—No, no. It's fine.

— Alright then— Helen sighed —. Mike, sit straight, you'll get a headache

Mike grunted while repositioning himself. He looked at his dad, he hadn't seen the man put that face since the kid was at the hospital with a broken finger.

— It's everything ok, dad?

— Um... yeah, it's the news — he tousled Mike's hair gently —. But it's nothing we have to worry about. It's just a matter of time before things get back to normal.

Mike smiled at his dad, got up and walked towards the garden. He started kicking the football, remembering the comments of his classmates about the news a few days ago. Tommy said he was scared and the class made fun of him, the rest of the kids thought it was pretty dope. They closed the school-year earlier, people were going crazy, the supermarkets were filled all day long. It was just like an apocalypse movie. Mike thought it was nothing and he too had called Tommy a pussy, but now his father had that face, and it gave Mike the chills.

— Mike! Get inside! — the kid looked at his mom, she was screaming through the kitchen window as loud as she was capable of —. Come inside!

Mike couldn't understand why his mom was yelling, but he knew he had to move. He felt his legs heavy, his stomach was in his throat, what was going on? Why was he so scared?

— They are eating me from the inside, Mike, they won't stop — the kid turned around to see his neighbour, blood covered, showing him his arms — I need to get them out.

Mike felt the words stuck in his mouth. He watched the wrists of his neighbour, bleeding through some scratches, something was extremely wrong. His heart bumped inside his chest like an orchestra. His legs started moving and in a second he was at the entrance.

— Mike, help me. I can't get them out. It hurts — the man was crying and his voice was throaty —. I just need a knife, Mike.

— I don't.... I don't have a knife Mr. Wright— the kid mumbled, his voice trembled as he took step back into his house slowly, incapable of taking his eyes off the man's face— I don't...

— Please! — the scream hurt Mike's ear —. They are crawling into my head! It will be too late then! 

The man started running towards the entrance at hit Mike into the ground, grabbing him by the shoulders. Helen was paralyzed  looking into the room through the kitchen door. Fred grabbed Stephan Wright by the head and started pulling him away from his son. The man screamed, his head was getting filled with them, he needed a knife. Mike struggled to get free from the man and got up, he was crying hysterically while trying to breath.

— It's too late! — Stephan grabbed his head with both hands, forgetting about the two people standing beside him, looking at him with horror. He pulled his hairs out of his scalp — They'll eat my eyes!

Stephan got up and made Fred and his son take a few steps back. He ran straight to a wall and hit his head, and again, and again, and again. Blood started to come out, his eyes went white and the screaming turned into a shriek. Fred grabbed Mike and pulled him into the kitchen. Helen got out of her shock and hugged Mike desperately. 

— It's ok — she said, more for herself than for her son —. It's ok.

Suddenly the hitting stopped, Fred looked at Stephan. His face was covered in blood, his eyes were moving everywhere like crazy, and he was mumbling something under his breath.

— Wright, you should get out.

—My eyes, Mike.

— Im Fred, Mike is gone.

— Why couldn't you give me a knife, Mike? — Stephan cried — It was so easy.

— Get out. — Fred talked loudly in an attempt to hide the fear in his voice —. Now. 

The man walked slowly into the garden, trembling like a drunk man getting out of a bar. Mike was mounted on a chair peeking through the kitchen window when the man stopped. Stephan looked at him and started to run. Mike didn't get a chance to react. The man's hands passed through the open window and were grabbing the kid by the neck, choking him.