Stannis Baratheon X Reader - My Little Girl

A/N - This chapter is based on the song 'My Little Girl' by Tim McGraw. I hope you all enjoy it.

When you had first fallen pregnant you had imagined that Stannis would be a somewhat distant father. Sure, he could be the sweetest man alive, but he wasn't the most emotionally driven person you had met. There needed to be some sense of mental stimulation for him to keep himself interested in conversation. And it had become obvious to you that a baby wouldn't be able to give him that. Of course, he would love your child, or you hoped he would. After all, he loved you and he had seemed happy enough to attempt to get you pregnant.

"Stannis," you had murmured one evening as you dressed for bed. You were answered with a soft hum, a sound you had become rather accustomed to since marrying him. "I think I'm pregnant," you had continued, hearing his movements halt behind you as you took a deep breath.

"Think?" he uttered, and you finally turned to look at him, allowing a smile to pull at you lips. 

"Well, I'm certain. The Maester has confirmed my suspicions." 

Stannis' look of stern confusion shifted quite suddenly, a smile coming into place as he stepped towards. "This is wonderful news," he murmured, his hand resting against you stomach. "Our son."

"How do you know it will be a boy?" you chuckled, your fingers running over the sleeve of his shirt as he glanced up at you. 

He shrugged slightly, his hand moving from your stomach to come and rest against your cheek. "I just know," he told you softly, leaning in and pressing a kiss to your lips. 

"I think it'll be a girl," you uttered when he pulled away, causing him to let out a playful scoff.

*Time Skip*

Stannis had been wrong. It wasn't so often that you got to murmur those words, and you'd taken quite a lot of enjoyment in telling him so when he sat at your bedside with his daughter cradled in his arms. He didn't seem to mind. His little girl already had him wrapped around her little finger, so small and perfect that he couldn't seem to tear his gaze away from her. 

"She's an angel," he uttered, finally glancing up to find you smiling down at him. "Only you could make a child so perfect," he added, causing you to release a short chuckle. 

You remained quiet for a moment, basking in the love flowing from Stannis. "She's half you too, you know," you murmured, reaching over to place a hand on his knee.

He shifted forward with a smile, placing the child into your arms and pressing his lips to yours. There had never been a doubt in your mind that Stannis loved you, but that kiss was something else entirely. Pure adoration in a gentle touch, and such sweetness that you felt your heart tighten in your chest.

*Time Skip*

"Y/D/N," (Your Daughters Name) Stannis called out, hearing the slapping of feet against stone floors fall quiet. "What are you doing?" He sat up straighter in his chair, gazing across the desk towards the door, which creaked open slightly to reveal his daughter. 

The way her head poked around the doorway caused a chuckle to rumble in his chest, a crooked smile painting her lips and leaving him caught off guard for a moment. "Nothing, Father," she uttered sweetly. "Just going to find Mother," she added, watching as he nodded, face set like stone.

"And you have to run, because?" 

She paused for a moment, shifting to stand properly in the doorway. "I wanted to get there faster," she started, the smile on her lips so perfect that his stern expression quickly melted from his face. 

"We don't run inside, do we?"

"No, Father." Her smile twitched slightly. "Sorry."

Stannis nodded once more. "Your mother will be wondering where you are." Y/D/N let out a sweet laugh, one that sounded like the most beautiful melody in the world, and Stannis felt himself give up on any attempt at harsh parenting. "I'll see you at dinner, Sweetling. I love you," he continued, and she nodded eagerly before starting towards the door. 

She was already halfway down the corridor when he heard her voice call back to him. "I love you more, Father." And then the fast, heavy footsteps were back as she made her way back to you.

At dinner that night, you felt as though you were in heaven, as you did every time you had your little family together in one place. Stannis was chuckling along with Y/D/N, teasing her about something or other, and you were just happy to be experiencing it with them. 

"Sansa Stark is betrothed to Prince Joffrey now, isn't she?" your daughter started, silencing Stannis' laughter quite suddenly. 

You nodded, pushing your food around the plate as you glanced over at her. "Yes, Sweetling. She is."

"Am I betrothed to someone?"

Stannis' coughed slightly, attempting to clear his throat as she smiled, looking between the two of you as she patiently awaited her answer. "Not yet," he told her, his voice as even as he could manage to keep it. 

"Why not?" she murmured, her smile fading slightly, a look of pure confusion painted onto her perfect little face. 

"You're too young, Sweetling," he started, reaching out to pat her hand lightly.

"But Sansa is only a few years older than I am," she attempted to protest, her brows furrowed into an expression of concentration you knew so well.

You attempted to keep a smile on your lips as you watched her. "A few years can make a big difference to a girl. Sansa is almost a woman now."

"And Sansa isn't my little girl. You'll be betrothed when the right man asks to marry you," Stannis uttered, and you watched as she looked at him in horror.

"But, I want to choose my own husband," she cried out. "How will I know if I love him if you choose him for me?"

"Your father and I will choose a good man for you, but you will never have to marry someone if you don't want to. It will be your choice when it really matters."

She nodded slightly, pushing her empty plate away from herself. "Can I go to my chambers? I just started a new book," she murmured, her voice softer than silk as she glanced between her parents.

"Yes, Sweetling," you answered, forcing the smile to remain on your lips as she made her way out of the room. 

A sigh escaped Stannis as soon as he thought she wouldn't hear him, and you reached out a hand for him to take, squeezing it lightly. "When did she get so grown up?" he uttered, and you shook your head.

"Gods know." You lifted your head, meeting his eyes with yours. "I think she'll always seem like a child to me," you added, tongue darting out to wet your lips. 

"I look at her and see that tiny child that I used to be able to lift with one hand," he told you leaning back in his seat and staring up at the ceiling. "She's smart, yes?"

You nodded slightly, in confusion. "The maester seems to think so," you uttered, brows pulled together as you watched him.

"Perhaps we should let her choose her own husband, when the time comes. She'd likely do a better job than I would." You felt a smile pull at your lips as you ran your thumb over the back of his hand.

Stannis glanced up at you, a smile coming to his own lips as he met your eyes. "I think that's a wonderful idea," you started, shifting forwards to press your lips to his. "And I think that it makes you a better father than most to allow your daughter a mind of her own."

Please consider supporting me for just £3 using Ko-Fi. The link is available on my profile page. If you have any questions about Ko-Fi please feel free to private message me. Thank you. L x