Chapter 1

An excited buzz was in the air of platform 9 3/4. A red headed  girl stood with her parents wearing a smile that didn't match her mood, her father placed a hand on her shoulder.

"I'm sure your sister would have loved to come" He said trying to cheer her up.

"yes,  Lily she really does love you,  and we are so proud of you" Her mother said,  feeling bad. Lily smiled,
"there's Sev,  I better go." Lily said,  spotting a greasy looking boy,  struggling with his luggage.

"now you right to us every day " Her mother said in a lovingly strict way.

"I'll write twice a day if you want it" Lily said kissing her father on the cheek. 

"see you at Christmas! " she called walking off.  She approached the greasy boy.

"Hey Sev! How was your holiday,  you never answered any of my letters " she said brightly,  tapping him on the shoulder. He jumped,  causing his luggage to spill everywhere.

"oops,  here let me help" Lily said kindly.

"I don't need help from a mudblood like you" Snape spat, glancing at the Slytherin gang who was watching near by.  Lily stumbled back,  hurt.  Her eyes began to sting.

"Lily.  No wait I didn't... " Snape began but Lily had already run off. She made her way, half blinded by tears,  through the crowd,  and as she headed for the Hogwarts express,  she walked straight into someone.

"Oi,  watch it....  Lily! " Sirius Black said in delight.

"oh. Sorry Sirius" Lily said through tears.

"hey,  what's amatter?" Sirius said with a small smile.

"Sev. He called me a mudblood, I was just trying to help him and... " tears ran down her face.  Damn she hated crying, but Sev was her best friend,  and he had called her that.

"come here" Sirius said gently,  hugging her.  Lily was great full to have a friend like him.

"where were you when he called you that? " Sirius asked calmly. Lily pointed.

"Right,  I'm going to kill him" and before she knew it Sirius had charged off.

"Sirius wait! " she called after him. "I was probably over reacting... It's no big deal! " but even if Sirius did hear her,  he didn't answer.

"don't do anything rash" Lily said,  trying to stop him.

Sirius saw Snape and he pushed him over,  causing him to fall face first into the concrete.  When he stood up,  his lip was bleeding.

"what was that for! " Snape hissed,  spinning around to see is attackor.  When he saw Sirius,  he shrank

"now Snivolous,  I heard you called Lily a mudblood, is this true?" Sirius said it threatingly. 

"what" Snape spluttered looking a Lily. 

"did you call her that foul name!?" Sirius asked pushing him again.

"So,  what if I did" Snape said trying to impress Slytherin gang. "I was just stating facts. "

Sirius threw his arm back ready to punch it,  however when he swung it foward,  someone grabbed it.

"are you seriously fighting before we even get to Hogwarts?" an unamused family voice said. Sirius spun around to see Remus Lupin.  He had yet more scars and looked tired, as it were only 2 days until the full moon. This ment his temper was short.

Usually Sirius would be over joyed to see one of his best friends,  however he was enraged at Snape.

"my dear Moony" he said,  impatience creeping into his voice.  "this grease ball here,  called our dearest Lily a mudblood"

Remus turned to Lily. "is this true?" he asked,  she gave a small nod.

He advanced at Snape.  "if you ever.  And I mean ever talk this way to Lily,  or anyone,  again" He said standing threatingly close to Snape's long nose,  "I will personally hex you within an inch of your life" Remus had grown over the holidays,  he was now six foot two,  and towered over Snape.

"I'm not surprised " Snape said trying to be confident,  but he was shaking, "that a mongrel like you is friends with a Mudblood like her" Sirius and Remus froze. 

Last year Snape had seen Remus in werewolf form,  and had nearly been killed.  Dumbledore had made him promise not to tell anyone.

"aah yes" Snape said noticing their reactions.  "you wouldn't want me to spill your secret now would you? " He knew he had the power.  "I feel bad for your mother,  having to live with the fact that she has something like you as a son, poor woman"

Suddenly there was a wham,  and Snape crumpled. A clink signified that Snape's nose had been broken.  Sirius was staring in awe.  Remus was flicking his hand in pain,  his knuckles   were swelling and bruised.

"Mate that was amazing! " Sirius said proud, clapping him on the shoulder.  Lily ran to Remus worried.

"are you OK?  Remus you could get in trouble for that! " she gushed. She then pulled him into a hug.

"what did I miss? " an amused sounding James said from behind them.  They spun around. 

"Alright Evans? " He asked leaning against his luggage.  She hastily let go of Remus, suddenly embarrassed.

"Prongs,  you should have been there!  Snape got his nose broken" Sirius said elated,  James grinned.

"you punched Snivolous,  good job Padfoot" He replied happily.

"not me,  it was Moony" Sirius said as proud as a mother.

"you did? " James said surprised.  "why? "

"he spoke ill if my mother, and called Lily a mudblood " Remus said,  not liking the attention. He glanced to the spot were Snape fell, he wasn't there,  it had seemed the Slytherins had taken him on board of the train.

"well,  good on you" James said happily,  he then turned to Lily.  "my dear Lily flower" he put his arm around her. "since I was unable to be your knight in shining armor,  why don't you make up for it and go out on a date with me? " she rolled her eyes and threw his arm off her.

"I'd rather kiss the giant squid " she said walking away. 

"is that a yes then? " James called after her,  she shook her head and kept walking. 

James struggled to hide his hurt.  They had exchanged a few letters over the break,  and they caught up together with their friends and had a pleasant time.  James had taken Remus's advice and didn't show off,  or embarrass Lily,  he actually had a conversation with her and he didn't ask her out.  He had honestly thought things would be different this year, that they could become friends.  He put on a smile.

"oh well" he said.  "she'll come around one day "  The boys smiled sadly at him.  Then James's face brightened.

"now,  Moony,  will you be taking points off of our house for that behavior,  you know,  since you are a prefect?"  he said eevily eyeing his new prefect badge.  Sirius got a mischievous grin.

"oh prongs we aren't going to be able to have any fun with a prefect always watching us" Sirius said in faint sadness.

"oh sod off" Remus said, and they walked toward the train.