I

I could feel the tiny mouths nibbling on my toes. I attempted to push the giggle down my throat; I needed to be as quiet as possible and concentrate. My body squirmed slightly on the grassy bank of the small pond, while my head rested at the base of a large oak tree. My eyes were closed behind heavy lids and I let the cold water, reaching my calves, cool me down enough to bring me to equilibrium and allow me to nap. The minuscule guppies swimming between my feet quickly scattered away as my feet swished through the water in an attempt to cut distractions. 

If I could steal a few hours, I'd be happy.

The day's heat had been unforgiving, but the sunlight had shined wonderfully all day. It was filtering down through the oak's leaves, cushioning the intensity before it reached my lying form. Yet the temperature had become sweltering and the sweat at the base of my neck stuck the baby hairs firmly. My mind zeroed in on the water's coolness and it attempted to deceive the rest of my body that it was also submerged. Slowly, I felt myself relax.

I probably slept for a while from the way I was completely out of it when I woke up.

Abruptly and in a panic- I felt sick in a state of confusion. I couldn't figure out where I was; I kept moving and a pressure was on my chest. It felt as if I was in whirlwind and I couldn't find stabilization. My mind kept me in this state of frustration before my limbs caught up in awareness and the ability to move came back. A small noise left my mouth as I tried to get myself oriented- although still slightly panicking.

"Shh calm down, we're going back to the house. Here, is that better?", his voice was in my ear, an almost gentle whisper. His tone was too deep to completely relinquish all of the masculine gruffness. Some of my panic subsided. He was carrying me back, my torso had been too high on his shoulder as my front pressed against his and the uncomfortable pressure had added to my little episode. He adjusted me now so that I was lower on his chest with my head falling into the crook of his neck. I was still groggy.

"Wrap your legs around my waist, Camila"

I muttered an okay and crossed my ankles behind him. His strong arms and capable hands securely held my thighs as he supported my weight. My grogginess had cleared and the panic was long gone. However, I wasn't ready to release my grasp on sleep totally so I let myself be fully supported by Leo. 

He was walking down the path that would come upon the end of the orchard. I still had fifteen minutes before we came upon the back door to the kitchen. The sway of his body as he walked kept me lulled and I lazily looked at the path behind us over his shoulder. Rows and rows of pear trees loomed in neat lines, dark and tall- giant soldiers awaiting command. The half crescent moon offered little light in the dark of night, and it finally hit me just how late it had become. I was suddenly grateful for Leo finding me.  

But he always did. Say what I will about him, he always seemed to come and find me when I've been away too long. And today I must have been gone for hours. An uneasiness overcame me as I came to that realization. 

"Leo?", my voice was croaky. 

He hummed in acknowledgment.

"Is Mach mad?", Leo's grip on my thighs became more firm and he took a moment to respond. 

"No, she's not mad", he spoke slowly.

 My uneasiness still kept as I sensed he wasn't finished speaking, "I'm furious, though."

Still speaking with a slow, calm voice his tone held no audible anger, but I knew him better. Leo had always hated when I would disappear for long periods of time with no one knowing where I was. I never did it intentionally, time would just escape from me completely. It was understandable why Leo disliked this about me. I couldn't blame him, it put Mach and my mother in complete distress and it always fell on him to be the search and rescue. I could only imagine how frustrating it was for him, the process of having to sift through woods to babysit me.