Dream Date

Samantha Jacobs smiled when she heard a knockon the door. "Come in," she called, and began to light thecandles in the middle of her dining room table. She still couldn'tbelieve that she had met Matthew McConaughey at her friend, Jason's,dinner party last week.

It all seemed like a dream now. He'd seemedquite interested in her at the party and blushing, she had invitedhim to dinner tonight. She had been pleasantly surprised when he hadaccepted. Still, she had never expected him to show up. She hadmade dinner of course, but in the back of her mind, she had beenprepared for him to stand her up.

Sheheard the door open then close again. "Hello?" Matthew calledout and her smile widened as she reached up and brushed a strand offlame red hair behind her ear. "I'm in here," she called fromthe dining room. She stood and straightened her red dress andbrushed invisible debris to the floor. She heard his footsteps cometoward her then turning she said, "I hope you like spaghetti."

Matthew smiled at her and handed her a dozenlong stemmed roses and a bottle of champagne. "Mmm," he said ashe took off his jacket and hung it on the back of a chair. "Myfavorite." He surprised her then by planting a quick kiss on hercheek then followed her into the kitchen so that they could ice thechampagne and put the flowers in water. They spoke of many thingsover dinner; what she did for a living, his career, and how he hadmet her friend; and he delighted her with his attention. Neverbefore had a man paid so much attention to her or shown so muchinterest in her, not even Jason. She noticed that unlike any otherman she knew, Matthew always seemed to redirect the conversationtopic back to her.

Afterdinner, she expected that he would be on his way, but he seemed quitecontent to stay. They cleared the table together and he helped herput away the leftovers. Then he went to the fireplace and started afire. He pulled the blanket she kept on the back of the couch ontothe floor and motioned her to join him where he sat cross-legged, hisback to the couch. She came toward him and knelt nervously. Matthewsmiled at her, noticing her nervousness.

"It's alright," he said softly. "Thereis no reason to be nervous around me; I'm just a man, afterall."

Yeah right, she thought. A gorgeous one. Hebeckoned to her once more and she slowly moved closer until they weresitting facing each other.

"I'm sorry I'm so nervous," shewhispered as she gazed into his chocolate colored eyes. "It'sjust that... most men show no interest in me."

He smiled at her, leaned forward slightly, andcaressed her cheek. "But I'm not most men," he whispered thenbent his head to kiss her. His lips were soft; they reminded her ofrose petals. She was startled to hear a soft moan escape her lipsand he inhaled deeply. Moving slowly, he untangled his legs placingone on each side of her, then bent them slightly. He wrapped hisarms around her gently and pulled her to him, never breaking theirkiss. "I'm sorry," he said quietly a moment later. "Ididn't mean to... to push you. It's just that I like you. I'vewanted to do that since I met you."

"Really?" she asked as he looked into hereyes and saw the firelight reflected in their emerald depths. Henodded and she smiled. He liked her smile. He looked at her sadlyand her smile faded. "What?" she asked. "What is it?"

"I'm leaving town in two days," hesaid quietly. "I wish I could stay, but I'm meeting with a newagent."

"Oh," she replied and looked away.

He cleared his throat drawing her attentionback to him. "I'd like to come back," he said uneasily as shelooked at him again. "I'd like to see you again, if that'salright with you." He knew her answer by the way she beamed athim. He placed his finger under her chin and tilted her head back sothat he was now gazing in her eyes. "Samantha," he breathedhuskily inches from her lips and her breath mingled with his and madethem heady.

"Yes?" she whispered, swallowing hard overa lump that formed in her throat.

"I love you," he whispered. "I'veloved you since the moment we met." He leaned forward then andcaptured her mouth in another kiss. It was soft, slow and delicious. He was surprised when she responded by wrapping her arms around hisneck. Cradling her face gently in his hands, he traced her mouthwith his tongue and was delighted when she parted her lips to him sothat he could deepen their kiss.

"Samantha," he whispered breathlessly whenthey finally parted. He caressed her cheek and gazed into her greeneyes. "I want you..." he breathed into her ear then drew back togaze into her eyes once more.

Before she could respond, an alarm suddenlysounded with a loud irritating buzz. Samantha tried to reach for himbut he faded right before her eyes. She moaned and rolled over notopening her eyes as she reached over to the bedside table and hit thesnooze button on her alarm clock. This was the third time this weekthat she'd had that dream. She sighed heavily then stretched andyawned. Rubbing her pale, nearly colorless eyes, she got out of bedand dressed. She shoved her glasses on her face and brushed herbushy dark brown hair. Then after grabbing her keys and chasing herwhite cat out, she left for work. It was Monday... just her luck,the dream never came when she could sleep in.