Life Partner

A huge room, where the morning cold has made its presence, among the warm and clean sheets of their bed, lays a delicate female figure... Tired and aching, deep and placidly asleep. The smell of freshly made coffee, a touch, a sweet kiss that has been deposited on her cheek and a whisper, a loving calling which becomes a very distant echo, it moves her heart.

— '' My love... Please wake up ... ''

Not instantly, you reacted slowly while trying to free yourself from the grip of your sheets, vainly searching the edge of your bed to sit down. You heard again that deep and familiar voice that you had perceived in your dreams, entering the room. Sliding with reluctance, you reached the center of the bed and sat down while you followed that voice, which spoke in response to the unknown. You still didn't saw him, because your eyes refused to open because of the sleep and the silly idea that the dim light that entered through the curtains of your window would blind you. You passed your hands over your face, combing your eyebrows with your fingertips and then running them over your eyes, trying insistently to move the sleep away from you and starting to open them heavily.

You remained motionless and expressionless for a few seconds, waiting for your eyes to get used to the light and stretched even while on the bed. Now that voice was accompanied by the sound of running water from the tap in the bathroom. You rolled on the bed the last few centimeters that remained until the edge of it and you stretched again, you were going to stand up, but a slight bother in your knees stopped you. Sitting still waiting for that slight discomfort to calm down, you inspected the pajamas you were wearing and you really didn't remember having placed something so warm the night before. Carefully rub your knees over the fabric, it hurts a little... You raised the edge of your pants discovering them and in both highlighted a subtle violet color of some bruises.

The sleeves of your pajamas covered you a little beyond your wrists, but you managed to see something attached to one of your hands, a bandit. You lifted your sleeve a little more and you ran your fingers along your wrist from were that clinical adhesive was, which surely covered the puncture that an intravenous line could have left, because it hurt a little by touch.

'' What happened last night? '' You thought, but because lately, you had not felt very well, you ended up not taking too much care, you would know it later. Since you were distracted, you don't notice the masculine figure that was a few meters in front of you, silent, listening attentively to the person with whom he apparently talked on the phone. You shared glances for a few moments without speaking to each other, he took a look at your hand, that still played with the sticker attached to it and then he looked down to your knees, that you had left uncovered and that you hid after feeling again the cold and the sad look of your partner.

— '' She just woke up. '' — He said, responding to the device he held next to his ear. You made a gesture to finally greet him, blinking softly as you wrinkled your nose, stretching your arms towards him as if you were asking him for a hug and he responded by tilting a smile along with a grimace feigning disinterest. — ''... Her knees are bruised ... '' — He let out almost inaudible as he made his way to the wardrobe, seriously changing his expression and leaving you alone ones again. He seemed a little mad, or perhaps uneasy about something. —

You giggled by yourself because of his reaction, it seemed you funny how he rejected your begging for affection, but you really hated to see your partner hiding his discomfort under a fake smile. This is was your husband is, a man who was very worried about things that you thought were the most ordinary, but that he always remained strong for you. ¿Who would say that after a couple of years of marriage, he still didn't know how to act in front of the frailness of his wife? Then you would ask him and try to encourage him in some way to get rid of all his worries, today you felt better than in previous days and you would take advantage of that to coddle him, but boy... You feel so lazy right now...