An Ode to Lies

A lie! A horrible, God awful lie. A lie that deceives you into forgetting reality. Cunning trickery that enthralls you to believe in fantasy. Oh, but the tellers of these lies, the weavers of this web, they'll capture you with none to little words. Words that have no significance on their own, no weight they carry. But these liars, they spin these words, spin them like the webs they are. Words like alone, gasp, he, she, prison, dread, dark, and damp. A lair meticulously weaves them. She gasped for air, but only dread filled her body. She was alone in the damp, dark prison. Alone. The thought puzzled her. Wasn't he just here? Not even a minute ago. See! Just like that, you're caught in their nifty little web of lies. There is no girl stuck in a prison, no girl filled with dread. There are only these lies this teller told you. Ah, but where would we be without these liars? Without these deceitful little spiders? We would have no where to escape to, no where to run. No place to hide from life and all its miseries. No retreat. We turn to liars such as these to fill our minds with little stories, turn to the weavers of these webs and embrace the flies we are. We allow ourselves to get caught up and even carried away by the lies. Drawn to tears and heartache when one doesn't go our way, smiles and joy when a teller tells the right thing. But there is no perfect lie, no true happy ending. We are sad and mad when the lies end, when deceit come to a halt. Somehow, we the victims become hungry, demanding the spider spin more webs. We cannot accept that it is over, that there is no more to be said. We crave for more, more lies and misguidance. But alas, there is nothing to be done. Instead we accept the lie is over with, and move on to another one. This vicious cycle goes on and on, more lies being spun, more flies getting caught. Who knows if there's an end, a final lie to end them all. But until that day, I shall retreat to my corner of the world. And you can bet your bottom dollar you'll find me, blanket and book in hand, diving nose deep into a web like the little fly I am.