Vexation

While he would never show it, William was confused. It had been months since Grell had been suspended for her role in the Jack the Ripper killings she didn't seem to be acting as if anything had happened and while he knew her to be emotional, impulsive and at times violent, William still found himself shocked by her crimes.

Before Grell had vanished only to return as Jack the Ripper, the pair had begun to grow close, even spending time together outside of work on what William had considered to be dates. As far as William had known, while Grell could be violent, she was more often caring, even sweet at times and he found himself unable to reconcile the compassionate woman he had shared coffee with on Sunday mornings with the horrific crimes she had committed. On top of the confusion, William felt betrayed, after all, Grell had vanished without a trace. He had believed that the two of them were close and were able to trust each other, William believed that if something had been wrong in Grell's life, she would have confided in him, only fueling his shock and terror at her disappearance. 

And then there was that damned coat. Not only had Grell committed those horrific murders, but she had abandoned his growing affections for a human woman who would trigger the violent change he saw within Grell. Grell had claimed to love that woman, and yet she had killed her. William couldn't understand it, how the woman he had begun to love could do something like this and how she could wear that coat like some sort of sick souvenir. What bothered him most was her attitudes afterwards. She had seemed almost guilty during her hearing, never saying a word in her own defence. Despite this, however, she never showed remorse or any other emotions for that matter when confronted. 

As life (or death) returned to normal at the dispatch, William found his mind wandering to Grell often. He found himself watching her behaviour, looking for some sort of explanation for her actions, something that would show she felt something about the murders. However, the longer she went without showing any acknowledgement for her crimes, the more William's frustration grew. William needed answers, and Grell needed to provide them.