Blessed

Ash stood waist high in ocean water, facing the horizon as he studied the heavens above him in all their glory. Normally, his mind would be pondering if there were just as many Pokemon on the planet to catch as there were stars in the sky, but tonight was different. Tonight, his mind was solemn and resided in a peacefulness that he'd never really experienced before. All felt right with the world and he was not nervous, or scared, or at all hesitant as he stood, waves pushing against him, facing the unknown of the sea and the sky above.  

It was odd, he thought, feeling this way. Like everything in his life had led to this moment. He felt so much different than the child he used to be, the ten year old receiving his first Pokemon as he was forced to drag his stubborn Pikachu along the road, gripping the rope with the rubber gloves his mom had packed him to help wash his extra underwear. 

Ash was able to take care of himself now. He'd journeyed not only through Kanto, but then through the Orange Islands, to Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, Unova, and now Kalos. Ash was eighteen and he knew he was different now. He had the same heart, the same drive to become a Pokemon Master, but he was much different than the Trainer who ran to Professor Oak's in his pajamas on that day that changed his life. 

Kalos was a beautiful place, Ash thought. A region so full of culture that you could feel it within you. Really, for the first time Ash was beginning to enjoy not only the Pokemon and the people he met where he traveled, but the places themselves. He had always enjoyed the people, but really, he knew he'd taken them for granted. He'd always taken her for granted and, with every new region he went to, the guiltier he felt for ever leaving her. 

Suddenly, Ash became extremely lonely as he stood, feeling the water attempt to push and pull him gently, swaying him in all different directions.  

No one can ever be her. Ash thought fiercely, his hands forming fists as he tried to control himself. She wasn't here, no matter how much he had decided to fool himself. Really, why had he decided to get in the water anyway? 

Of course it was because of her. It was because water symbolized her, what she was most passionate about, was what led her to dream what she did. Ash had thought, maybe, if he came out here and stood in the water by himself and stared at the sky, it would be like being with her right now, of somehow mentally portraying over the hundreds of miles that separated them that he was thinking about her and that he could never, once, in the past six years stop missing her. 

"Misty." Ash said her name aloud, wishing he could say it without attaching the raw longing he felt every time he thought of her. 

Ash heard a gentle movement of water behind him and paused in his thoughts, guessing it was a Pokemon coming to inspect him. He wasn't afraid of any wild Pokemon he'd find here and, really, right now he wasn't in the mood to make any new friends. Still, Ash turned around to see what had made the noise and was met with the most unexpected sight he could have dreamed of. 

Misty was standing in the water, her red hair down and flowing in the soft night breeze. She was wearing a bikini, her mouth open partially, hugging her body as if for protection as her blue eyes stared at the eighteen year old Trainer in front of her, seeming unable to move. 

The two stood staring at each other for a long time, unspoken messages being interchanged by their eyes. 

"How did you get here?" Ash asked quietly, taking a small step towards Misty, stopping suddenly. He felt as if he moved any closer, the spell that had brought them together would break and she'd be gone forever. 

"Not by blimp." Misty smiled wryly, sounding small instead of powerful and assertive. 

Ash wasn't used to it, "Why?"