Unlucky thirteen

Thor was thirteen.

He was thriteen the first time he saw a Jotun in the actual flesh instead of just having to picture them from the many stories he had heard. This was also the first time he ever saw Loki the one who later would become the closest thing to a brother he had ever had.

It had been a big feast( Not so surprisingly) the reason why the feast was held was nearly forgotten but it had something to do with hunting or maybe it was a succesfull trading with another realm or something. Anyway the matter of exactly why the feast was held had been forgotten after the many tankards of mead that had poured down the participans throaths.

Thor was sitting at the far end of the table together with his mother Frigga and his father Odin. He was yet not old enough to drink the mead that the warrior were so eagerly toasting with(He was only thirteen after all) but he still enjoyed to hear the many stories that were being told. They were stories of dangerous hunts after mighty beasts or of the glory of a war they had once had victory in. However the stories he found the most interesting were those of the frost giants.

Thor had heard many stories about the great war with Jotunheim from many years ago where his father Odin had marched into Joutenheim and defeated their king, Laufey and taken the source of their power, The Casket Of Ancient Winters.

Thor had always wanted to go to Joutenheim and fight the giants himself, he had actually asked his father once if it were possible for them to go there. His fathers response had been a chuckle and then he had told him. " Maybe someday when you are a bit older, but not now. Now go off to your friend, I bet that Sif and The Warrior Three is waiting for you." Since Thor was a child he had happily agreed to what his father had said and then he had run off to find hos friends.

Pulling himself out of his thoughts Thor suddenly noticed something, the hall seemed darker. He glanced around at the torches that were lining the walls and his eyes widdened in surprise when the once orange glowing warm flames changed colour to an emerald green. The people in the big hall emidiately fell silent and looked around.

Thor glanced at his father as he stood up. The green flames were throwing eerie shadows over the hall and Odins face.

"Who is responsible for this?"

His fathers voice rung out through the silent hall. No one answered and Thor could see the small signs of aggitation on his fathers face. Then suddenly when he was sure that Odin was about to speak again a laugh was heard. It echoed through the great golden halls and washed over the feasting asgardians back like iced water, creating shivers in it's wake.

Thor looked around, trying to locate the who it was and suddenly the green flames became bigger before some of the fire suddenly left the torches and travelled towards the middle of the hall. There they all gathered before they flared up and quickly died down and left, standing where the flames once had been, was now a man with his head bowed. The man slowly raised his head and Thor soon found his blue eyes locked with a pair of blood red.

Thor was thirteen when he first saw a frost giant.

He was thirteen when he first laid eyes on Loki.

And he was thirteen when the nine realms were once again plunged into war.