322 Hours To Midnight

bi·sex·u·al (noun)
a person who is sexually attracted not exclusively to people of one particular gender.

Malfoy was fucking smiling again. 

The receptionist was laughing and telling him something and Malfoy's grin was illuminating his whole face and it made Harry want to fucking strangle him.

Harry's bitter thoughts were immediately washed away as Ginny leaned over his desk, flashing him a grin.

"When do you get off?" 

"Usually when there's a hot guy under me," Harry responded without hesitation, allowing his eyes to flick away from Malfoy and toward her.

Ringing laughter met this statement. "You motherfucker."

"Gross. You know I don't like older women."

Another round of laughter. "When's your lunch break?"

"Now, I guess, since you asked so kindly and subtly."

She stuck her tongue out at him childishly, and Harry met this with his own laughter. He grabbed his jacket and stood, joining her.

He took one last glance at Malfoy before following Ginny.

He tried not to wonder why the blonde was already looking back at him.

*

"Do you think Blaise would go to the Ministry ball with me?"

Harry groaned, dropping his head on his desk. "Ginny, he's into Luna."

"Luna's not even into him though!"

"Yeah, because they're into you. And you're into them. Why do you keep ignoring it and shooting for Blaise?"

"Is it so bad to want both?" Ginny sighed dramatically. "I just... like, I'd be happy with either, but the ideal is both."

"Ginny's collecting hoes," Harry said as Hermione ran her hand along his shoulders and sat at their table outside the Ministry building.

"I am not! Polyamory is a real thing!"

"It's not when not everyone is involved, Ginny," Hermione said in a voice that implied she had made this point a hundred times before.

Ginny shook her head. "Everybody is against me. Even God."

"God is dead," Hermione and Harry deadpanned together, and Ginny cracked a grin.

"Where's Ron?" Harry asked, swerving the subject away from Ginny's travesty of a love life.

Hermione shrugged. "Shacklebolt sent him a notice last night that he was to come in at six this morning. He left and I haven't seen him since."

Harry frowned and cast a Tempus. "Hermione, it's almost three p.m."

She nodded, and only then did Harry see the stress in her face. "I know. I don't know what could be taking this long."

Ginny reached out and patted her hand. "Kingsley probably just wants to bring up the prospect of another Triwizard Tournament again. You know how long Ron will fight against that for."

"But it wouldn't even be for another two years," Harry protested. "And Ron's a Gamemaker, why would Shacklebolt even want to talk to him? The Department of Magical Games and Sports is five floors away from him. They never see each other."

Hermione shook her head. "No idea. I have to admit, I brought it up to Luna, since they work with him, and even they seemed concerned. I've almost never seen Luna concerned."

Harry felt a shiver crawl up his spine as the wind blew lightly, brushing some dry leaves into a dance along the pavement.

An owl screeched above their heads, and all three of them ducked in an immediate fight-or-flight, wands out and pointed at the black Ministry owl as it dropped a letter in front of Harry and flew off.

Ginny sighed, her hands shaking a touch as she put her wand back. "Merlin. How long until that stops eliciting a response?"

"My therapist says it's different for everyone," Hermione said quietly.

"So does mine," Ginny grumbled, and Harry put away his wand and opened the letter.

MINISTRY OF MAGIC
DEPARTMENT OF MAGICAL LAW ENFORCEMENT
AUROR HEADQUARTERS

Mr Potter,

Your presence is requested in the office of Kingsley Shacklebolt at the following time:

3:10 P.M. BST October 17, 2002

Any inability to appear at the abovementioned time must be communicated promptly and with acceptable reasoning. Any reasoning found absent or unacceptable will be marked against the record of Auror Harry James Potter. This will lead to a final count of four (4) marks against Auror Harry James Potter, with a remainder of two (2) marks before termination of position.

Kingsley G. Shacklebolt
Head Auror

Department of Magical Law Enforcement
London
United Kingdom

"Do you think he enjoys writing it like a pretentious bastard every time?" Ginny asked, having read the note upside-down.

"Do you think he enjoys writing his credentials every time and discrediting yours?" Hermione added with a tense grin.

"Do you think he enjoys reminding me that I already have three strikes?" Harry groaned.

"Three (3)," Ginny added, cupping her hands to simulate parentheses. Hermione giggled. Harry sighed and shook his head, grinning and grabbing his coffee.

"See ya. Send me an owl when Ron shows up."

"Send me one if you see him on the way up," Hermione added, and Harry disappeared into the building.